Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Introducing Savannah Kitten To Other Pets In The House

Mochasispuss

Savannah Adult
Hi everyone,

I really need some advise on how to introduce my 6 year old Cavalier King Charles (boy) and 8 months old Scottish Fold (girl) to our Savannah kitten.

She's very confident, playful and loving when other pets are not around. Its been 2 weeks since she's been home and she's been in her quarantine room. I've taken her out a couple of times when the others were not around.

I've switched rooms in order for them to get used to smells and everything.

My king charles is very social with the other cat. But he gets excited and tries to get near Puss which makes her get scared.

I've read a lot on how to introduce and tried my best to apply everything.

Just wanted to hear if you have any other suggestions :)

Now i got her out of her room and got Mocha (my king charles) out too. Now she became a hissing demon lol.

Thanks for the time,

Xtine

Savannah Super Cat
Is there a way to put up a screen door or to use a couple of child gates in the door frame? We had a hard time introducing our Savannahs and we found putting the child gates in the door frame so we could leave the door open and let them sniff and interact safely worked well.

M

MK Anderson

Is there a way to put up a screen door or to use a couple of child gates in the door frame? We had a hard time introducing our Savannahs and we found putting the child gates in the door frame so we could leave the door open and let them sniff and interact safely worked well.
that's what we did! my husband put up a screen door with good netting(scratch proof) on the quarantine room... I have a deaf cat and it took him almost 6 weeks to get use to my Savannah. this worked wonders and I would not worry how long it takes them, there is no hurry!

M

MK Anderson

Hi everyone,

I really need some advise on how to introduce my 6 year old Cavalier King Charles (boy) and 8 months old Scottish Fold (girl) to our Savannah kitten.

She's very confident, playful and loving when other pets are not around. Its been 2 weeks since she's been home and she's been in her quarantine room. I've taken her out a couple of times when the others were not around.

I've switched rooms in order for them to get used to smells and everything.

My king charles is very social with the other cat. But he gets excited and tries to get near Puss which makes her get scared.

I've read a lot on how to introduce and tried my best to apply everything.

Just wanted to hear if you have any other suggestions :)

Now i got her out of her room and got Mocha (my king charles) out too. Now she became a hissing demon lol.

Thanks for the time,
she is feeling threatened with the hissing. keep swapping them out of room and house. I think the screen door will work good. she will have a barrier between her and the others.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
If the main problem is her reaction to your dog, there are two things you could try, either the baby gates which allow the kitten to escape the dog, and get to a "safe place" whenever she wishes... or leash your dog when you let the kitten out so that you can stop the dog from getting overexcited and getting too close...now we know your little king charles is no threat but your kitten doesn't :-(

wetcats

Savannah Super Cat
I believe you may have the answer to the question already, at least partially. Think about how you introduced your 6 year old dog to your 8 month old Scottish Fold- part of the answer lies there. Granted, the Scottish Fold is a laid-back cat, and a Savannah.....isn't! That said, Mocha is responding excitedly for 2 reasons. 1. You, your family, Sc.Fold, are HIS Pack, and it's His Job to Look After You! And 2. Puss is some new person that he is really excited to play with. All of which intimidates Puss-naturally.

Can you find a small space-like a bathroom-that you and Puss can go to and spend special cuddle time in for 15 minutes several times a day or night--but only high on a counter that Mocha cant reach? or the top of the dryer? Somewhere Puss is high enough to not feel threatened if Mocha was on the ground.
After a few days, have someone gently open the door, and quietly let him in-keep your hand gently stroking Puss-keep the dog Quiet. Then, if it takes days, -hopefully not too many, Puss will feel superior,as is right,
and despite the size discrepancy, they will Eventually become your family all together. Good luck!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
There are a couple of things you can do. First, when they are in a room together, make sure there is plenty of vertical space for your Savannah kitten to retreat to. Ideally she should be able to traverse the room without touching the floor (book shelves, furniture, TV, etc.). Second, as Brigitte mentioned, keep your dog on a leash while the kitten is out - this way she will be able to get used to his presence on her terms. I think some degree of hissing is to be expected - this sometimes happens when I first introduce my kittens to my dog as well, but eventually they learn that he is harmless and even enjoy being with him.

Mochasispuss

Savannah Adult
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I wasnt able to answer for the last couple of days because i live in ─░stanbul and things got a little out of control here between the protesters of the government and the police :(

Things are way better with Puss, Mocha and Sis. They started playing around. Cats seem to be more interested with each other but i believe puss will get used to Mocha as well :)

Tried all the steps you suggested and it worked!

wetcats

Savannah Super Cat
Great news! You'll find that they will bond together as a family quite strongly, and invent their own games--you might not ever figure them out, but THEY will know the rules! Good luck with the political situation there, and take good care of yourself and your little family.