Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Is he a Savannah? Please help!

I got Simba from a woman on craigslist whos savannah had babies and she needed to get rif of them so I got him for 100 dollars. I went to the house and met the mom no doubt she was a Savannah. I just want to make sure my little guy is or did she rip me off. Hes five month old and acts like hes a dog, plays fetch and constantly needs love! I have never had a cat like him. He supposed to be a F5 so tell me wjat you guys think! Oh and ignore the mustache in the picture lol

Attachments

• simba.jpg
    simba.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 74
  • simba.jpg
    simba.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 74
  • simba2.jpg
    simba2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 72

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
If you only paid $100 you can't have been ripped off if the kitten was healthy and socialized. Most shelters would charge that as an adoption fee!

There's no DNA test for Serval heritage so no way to truly know if your cat doesn't come with a pedigree. If you are sure the cat you saw was the mom and that she was indeed a Savannah (were there papers for the mom then?) then the kitten is one even if outcrossed if the father was unknown.

From what I can see in the pics he could be one, he might not be. It is hard to see leg length and too much of body type but the face shot is in that grey area...the ears are a little larger than many domestics, but the ears are not upright like we want. The eye shape is not the boomerang we want, the nose leather not as puffy as we want... but there's enough there that he looks similar to some other F5s you would see posted on websites and forums such as this one...

What is important is the other stuff you mention...that he's unlike any other cat you've had and it seems certain that you love him :)

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Welcome! If you are sure the mom was an F4 Savannah, then Simba is an F5A Savannah, assuming the father was NOT one. He is very handsome :)

I'm going to take a wild guess here that the mom was not supposed to be bred (was not sold with breeding rights, but as a pet only). I say this because no reputable breeder would ever sell or advertise kittens on Craigslist. That said, he could be a Savannah and you now have yourself a really good looking boy! I'm glad you found him.

Be sure to take him to your vet for vaccines and a health check-up asap. Be sure to get him neutered if not done, and get a microchip, too!

Yeah his mom was beautiful! Although she had a super scary hiss everytime I went near her! And the lady was definitely not a breeder and got herself in over her head with them. Any tips on teaching him tricks ??? Thanks for the response guys

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think there are books and probably Youtube videos out there on training a cat to do tricks. I think clicker training is the best start...

This little guy (Max) showed up outside my house on August 3. He was probably 1/2 this size at the time. What I noticed right from the start is his coloring and large ears both different from what kittens/cats I've ever had. I have been doing the Internet search and found so many images of Savannah's that have his coloring and look just like him that I wonder - is he a Savannah?

We think he might have followed our cat home but not sure. It has taken a few weeks but at this moment he is fast asleep next to me in a chair in our family room. He's been in our home for close to three weeks and will not venture upstairs yet. He has seen a vet and has been declared healthy though something caught him and pulled the hairs from the tip of his tail (or he got caught on something). Vet said it was trauma and would take a long time to grow back. Let me know what you think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377474097.537293.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377474097.537293.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 45
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377474123.647411.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377474123.647411.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 42
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377474181.032583.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377474181.032583.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 42
Max sleeping next to my leg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377476478.551702.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377476478.551702.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 26

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It's hard to tell much by the pics you posted, but if he is the same kitten in you avatar then I would say there is a possibility he is a Savannah, although other cats can have this look as well. Whatever he is, he looks adorable!! I'm so glad you opened your heart and home to him - lucky kitty!!

It's hard to tell much by the pics you posted, but if he is the same kitten in you avatar then I would say there is a possibility he is a Savannah, although other cats can have this look as well. Whatever he is, he looks adorable!! I'm so glad you opened your heart and home to him - lucky kitty!!
Same kitty as my avatar. I am the lucky one. Don't care if he is officially a Savannah or not but was surprised by his coloration. I just want to give him the best home he can have. Guess I was more curious about why someone would let a young kitten (especially if it could be a Savannah) loose. Max is adorable. He is currently sleeping against my leg and missed me because I went to a wedding this weekend. It helped him bond with my husband - a good thing - but also showed me how much I belong to him. We missed each other. Thanks, Patty, for responding so quickly.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
A spotted tabby can be many cat breeds, so coloration alone doesn't make a kitten a Savannah... he could be part Bengal, Egyptian Mau or Serengeti for example. As well as Ocicats, Cheetohs, Oriental Shorthairs coming in spots, and even a plain Domestic Shorthair. So that confuses the issue...and unfortunately there's no genetic test to tell us either!

As to kittens being allowed loose... some people don't have a problem with their cats being indoor/outdoor hence if those cats have kittens then they also will be out and about. Additionally, a female cat in heat will be motivated to door dart and escape the home so people can lose their cats at that time... she then may have the kittens outdoors...and then there are the sad cases when the family simply doesn't want the responsibility of more cats so dump the kittens :-(