Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Is Heartworm Prevention Medication Needed?

Ezequiel

Savannah Adult
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to ask the cat experts here whether preventive heartworm medications for cats, such as Revolution, are a necessity. We have 4 strictly indoor cats, and our Veterinary keeps telling us that he would like to see all four of them put on Revolution, which is a heartworm/ flee treatment. Two of my cats were on Revolution for a couple of months, but unfortunately I had to stop due to the high cost of this medication. I'm considering getting all of our four cats back on it, but wanted to ask and get your input first. I've heard mixed opinions about heartworm treatment in cats, so please any advice will be appreciated.
We live in Miami, and our vet says we are at a higher risk due to our tropical weather and mosquitoes.

I have attached a pic of Suwi at the vet's office :)

Thanks,
Ezequiel

Attachments

Ezequiel

Savannah Adult
Thanks for the quick reply. Is Revolution the only option to Heartworm preventive treatment? Does anyone here know of any other available and good options?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm sorry, I only know of Revolution for this. I live in a very low risk area where we rarely see fleas let alone mosquitoes! The chilly fog of San Francisco seems to keep most insects away...

I would be wary of cheap alternatives as not being as effective a medication.

John Popp

Site Supporter
I use revolution as prescribed in the problem months here in Ohio, and stretch things out to 6 weeks after labor day. Once the snow flies I drop it completely until Easter.

Living where you are I don't think I would roll it back much, but I might also look at getting your yard sprayed.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
We use revolution year round. We are in NJ.
It is expensive with three boys, but the MOSQUITOES are vicious here, and the fleas can survive warmer winters, and I don't want to take any chances. I know there are many who do not, and are ok, but we medicate year round.