Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is quarantine over?

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
We kept Fitz quarantined for 2 weeks like we were supposed to. We started supervised explore time last Friday. He was out a few hours each day. There's still some hissing from the DSHs but no fighting. Right now we are planning on still keeping him quarantined while we are gone, but letting him out if we are home. When can we let him just be out? He is starting to dart out whenever he can.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I would say when you are sure he and the DShs will not get into a fray, that is when you can leave him out all the time. Another week or so, methinks. ;)

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
That's my thought as well.. This week just stinks because I work 7:30-6:30ish Monday -Thursday. Normally I have Tuesday off and only work Mon all day and W&Th afternoons. My coworker is on her honey moon so I get more hours lol I just feel bad leaving him in the room alone so much. He has had a lot of time with us and not much without. Last night he got on the counter and Charlotte was right under him with Kinsler not far off. I took Fitz off and set him away a little instead of right in front of them. Well he saw his toy and darted in the bedroom, causing both to hiss at him. (sudden movements are normally what spark it lol) then they ran away and Fitz just sat there looking so sad as if he was saying "I just wanted to play..". I know it will take time and I can already tell that Kinsler and Fitz will play and romp eventually. I'm probably just being impatient... One of my biggest flaws!

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Sam. I know we feel bad when our babies seem to get their feelings hurt. They are kids. They bounce back quickly. In fact, I think it hurts US more then them. So no worries girl. He will be JUST FINE. ;)

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
It was about a month/5 weeks for us before our kitten was allowed out unsupervised. At a certain point I would let Bizley run about as he felt he wanted to and Jengo, our oldest SV, would run away to the fridge and observe. For the first couple of weeks after quarantine any time Biz approached Jengo would run up high and just watch.

If you can try to get everyone to play with a toy - this was the real ice breaker for us. I would let Jengo observe from his safe space and I'd play with Biz - I'd occasionally toss the toy towards Jengo and one day he took the bait and came down. They played together really nicely. After a week of this Jengo moved to his spot he loves on the floor and Biz approached and Jengo smacked him in the face. After that - Jengo didn't hiss or growl. I think them playing together and giving our existing cat room to run away was a good way to go.

We waited longer than we needed to just to be safe. It's been 3 months now and everyone gets along great!

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
That is great advice Charley! I have played with them together and Kinsler (tabby) was playing on one side of the living room then I would play with Fitz on the other. At one point Fitz landed a little to close and got bopped. It was kinda funny because it didn't seem to phase him at all. I have a video of it! I'll work on getting it on here. Poor Fitz lol Charlotte (black cat) is going to take her own sweet time. She is my first and took a while to get used to Kins but now they love each other!

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
Here's Fitz getting bopped.. It was a good one. He got loves after cause momma felt bad..

**Side Note** Don't worry about the cords you can see in this video. We don't have cable yet so we hook my laptop to the TV and watch tv online. Cords are always put away afterwards! :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think you won't regret taking things slowly...it may seem hard to have kitten separated for a bit longer, but in the long term it is really "nothing" but you won't be worried by leaving him unsupervised until you are certain all is well...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
There is no magic number, you will have to play it by ear. If Fitz and the others are out for several hours at a time together while you are around and getting along fine then try leaving the area (go to another room and close the door but listen for any spats) and see what happens (like children, Savannahs will sometimes play nice as long as they think they are being watched, but as soon as your back is turned will look for mischief). Leaving them 10-12 hours a day together unsupervised is quite a lot at this stage I think, so would spend this week keeping them together while you're at home, then perhaps next week, if all has gone well, start letting them out together unsupervised on those days that you are only working in the afternoon.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Here's Fitz getting bopped.. It was a good one. He got loves after cause momma felt bad..

**Side Note** Don't worry about the cords you can see in this video. We don't have cable yet so we hook my laptop to the TV and watch tv online. Cords are always put away afterwards! :)

Wires... What Wires...

Wires-1.JPG
Behind one of my computers... And that is not much...

Wires-2.JPG
Behind My Surround Amp, and not all is in view.

I have 1000+ feet of CAT 5 (Internet Wire), 1500 Feet of Video Cable (security Cameras), 350 Feet of Speaker Wire for my Surround Speakers and that does not come close to laying it all out... LOL, and now I will be moving and get to do it all over again... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::(:poop: