Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Is the cat I found part Savannah?

krindy

Savannah Kitten
One night at 2:00 am in July I was at the bank atm and heard a “mew” and found a cute red kitten. He was dehydrated, hungry and exhausted. I took him home and checked throughout the next week for posters or ads in papers for lost kitten, but there was none so I kept him. I have had cats my entire life and briefly bred and showed Devon Rex in CFA. This kitten was different than any other I had seen. First he grew really fast. Second he was severely dedicated to play. He still takes it very seriously. He began to travel around the house by bouncing off the walls and he can jump higher and better than any cat I have seen. He started attacking my stuffed animals. He does have spots, but he is red and has white feet. I began researching thinking maybe he was bred to a bobcat or something(I live in the desert). When I ran across the savannah I saw that some have his exact facial expression and act a lot like him from YouTube videos. Was wondering what anyone here thought. I think he is a Savannah in spirit if nothing else! Here are some pix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Your orange boy is magnificent! I’ve got a soft spot for them, and have had two. Both had spots, and were much different in both activity level and ability to other DSH cats. Not quite the same as our current trio of SVs in personality, but definitely similar. Maybe it’s the redhead gene, lol. He really is a gorgeous boy.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think he's adorable but a plain domestic shorthair nevertheless. Red cats all express the underlying tabby pattern genetically.

I haven't shown in CFA (Savannahs aren't accepted) but I have shown at TICA shows for over 15 years now. And along with our pedigreed cat breeds (including the Devon Rex) TICA has always been very supportive of people showing their "household pets", ie the mixed breed domestic short and longhaired cats. He looks like a lot of the very personable cats I see at shows. Maybe he might even enjoy being appreciated at a show?

Devons are quiet gentle cats, it just may be that you were more used to the more docile end of the kitty spectrum and this baby is on the high energy end? The domestic shorthair I had right before getting Savannahs back in 2001 was a brown spotted tabby and white, she was crazy enough that we named her Wasabi (she was definitely a head rush) and she came when called, fetched toys, played in water and bounced off the walls. There were no Savannah breeders around at that time, she was a feral kitten brought in...now I am sure we would wonder if she was a Savannah too.

krindy

Savannah Kitten
Thanks for your replies. I still wonder because he is only eight months old and is already much larger than any cat I have owned. Except for my Devon’s all my cats have been domestic short hairs. Either way I love my Rowdy dearly and he has become a permanent member of my family. Yesterday he flew by my head and ricocheted off the wall at about 6 feet and flew up the stairs. I also have ordered a harness and leash to take him on walks to help satiate his energy levels. So I guess it doesn’t matter, he will get the Savannah treatment anyway. Maybe when my last and dearly loved Devon rex passes I will get him a real Savannah sibling; who knows. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

krindy

Savannah Kitten

Just testing because it doesn’t look like my gifs loaded as videos just photos. Looks like I am a terrible photographer. I might put another picture of him up if I can’t load the files as video. I am not sure how to load a video.

krindy

Savannah Kitten
Now I am really confused. Is that image moving or still when you see it? How about this one? It seems like the first one is still and the second is video. I thought at one time I pulled up the website and the gifs were working and the next time they weren’t.. I’ll stop testing now. Thank you.

If anyone is still looking at this thread, here are a couple images I took from the video that I thought showed his markings better. I thought the stripes on the back of his head and the fact that he has that light stripe on his ears looked a lot like a Savannah. Does this change the opinion that he is a normal house cat? He is still growing and still crazy. His jacket and leash came in the mail so I am going to take him outside. Savannah or not, I love him like crazy. Thanks for all your opinions. Take care of you and your cats. :)