Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a guarantee on delivery?

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have been asked this question and am sure other breeders have as well...can I guarantee a kitten be shipped or picked up at the exact timeframe I usually specify...

My answer is NO!!! There are many factors that influence delivery of a kitten and since I practice ESN (early spay and neuter), there cannot be a guarantee as ESN depends on the weight of the kitten. Other factors include whether the kitten is ready to leave, vaccines, if shipping, the weather, etc... Most of my kittens leave by 14-16 weeks.

Also...getting a kitten as early as possible to cement the bonding process is a myth...my litters have all left around 15-16 weeks in general and seem to have an easier transition because they are more confident and self-assured.

Of course, there are differing opinions on this, but things do happen and come up, so often sticking to a precise schedule is just not possible!

Trish Allearz

OR-- your kitten can get stuck for two freaking days in Chicago and end up late to his new home too!

(Just saying-- crap happens. Literally-- and figuratively!)

Trish Allearz

Did he make it safely to his new home?
Safe and sound and is now snug as a bug in a rug ;)

But the worry- the airlines were great at ensuring his SAFETY-- which is obviously our priority-- but HORRIBLE at communication. This is the ONLY time in a kitten/cat's life that we really don't have direct control over every aspect-- even at the vet, we have more control than when they are flying. It was scary, to be honest, and just reiterates my NEED for new owners to fly in and pick up whenever at all possible.

Trish Allearz

I do want to add also-- just as Paige said-- other things can interrupt and can effect delivery of kitten. Kittens have been known to injure themselves, get into things they shouldn't, etc, etc. While you can give a roundabout date-- and I usually do when a deposit is made, it's much harder to give a concrete date.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I agree, Paige, these aren't inanimate objects but living creatures and hence timetables can really only be guides not guarantees.

And agreed that being a little older often helps their transition rather than hindering bonding.

Bristol Lad

Savannah Super Cat
Personally I would be worried to buy a kitten / animals from abroad as I want to meet the breeder first and see my pet to be in their family environment first. Also it would worry me if flights, journeys etc are delayed

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It's definitely harder to do it at a distance. I've purchased cats from all over US but have generally chosen to fly there and fetch the cat. This would allow you to meet the breeder. I think you can get a good sense via email and pictures in most cases...but I think it an advantage if you do live locally to your breeder...just in many locations that might limit your choice quite a lot!

admin

Paige
Staff member
I agree with Brigitte...very few of my kitten buyers have met me first...And they have all been local but one. Emails and phone calls, photos and videos, as well as recommendations have always been what my kitten buyers used to decide to buy from me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Trish Allearz

I'd love it if everyone was local-- and of course, I always tell them they'll have more fun flying into my city versus a kitten flying out to them-- but it's not always feasible for them. I can tell you, I know a lot of my families more than I know most of my friends! You develop a relationship and get to know people.

Preferred? Definitely pick-up, but since I'll never let locale narrow my choice of breeders when looking for a new critter-- I try not to let locale limit my buyers either.