Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a proven diet to encourage ultimate growth genetically possible?

Cheeto's Keeper

Savannah Teenager
Just as with humans, if we are not ultimately nourished as we are growing we will not meet our fullest genetic potential for growth. I have a new Savannah kitten. I want to feed her enough but not over feed her. I want to give her the nutrition she needs to meet her ultimate growth potential but not over stress her system with things it doesn't need. I am not sure about the whole raw diet avenue but understand it relative to the wild aspect of the breed. Is it necessary for ultimate growth? Although I am not looking for a debate on Raw versus not raw, I understand that many will have strong opinions in this way. In any case, looking for the best diet for Cheetoh to get as big as Cheetoh can get. Cheetoh is presently eating wet and dry kitten food mixed together by Blue Wilderness high protein and 100% grain free. Thank you for your responses in advance.

image.jpeg

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
You're feeding the same thing I am but I added Simply Nourish canned Tuna & Chicken stew. Eddie gained ~ 3 pounds in 2 weeks; not too sure why but the vets happy & so is Eddie...Cheetoh looks beautiful!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
J
I want to give her the nutrition she needs to meet her ultimate growth potential but not over stress her system with things it doesn't need. I am not sure about the whole raw diet avenue but understand it relative to the wild aspect of the breed. Is it necessary for ultimate growth?

Generations of cats have grown and even thrived on a commercial diet. A raw diet is not necessary for that. However, if you want to "not over stress her system with things it doesn't need" then a raw home-prepared diet is your only option. All commercial diets -- from the cheapest to the most expensive -- contain additives, fillers, food that has the potential to cause health issues. A raw diet that you prepare, or a whole prey diet, gives you the most control over what goes into your cat's system.

The most comprehensive site for nutritional information is, IMHO, http://www.catinfo.org The more you read and educate yourself about feeding options, the better you'll be able to make choices that are best for you and your cat. Cost and convenience play a big part in the choices we make. And no matter what we think is best for our cats, they have to like the food enough to eat it.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Well, I'll stay out of the raw vs wet debate. I give my cats just what you mentioned.
I gave my young SV's wet and all the dry kibble they wanted. Never restricted food. Not even till this day. I have adult F3 brothers at 12 and 11 pounds. They are tall, long, and lean. But most of all, very healthy.
With the cost of these cats, we all tend to give them good food and veterinary care.
You're already doing fine in my book. You have nothing to worry about. Well, er, be prepared to be trained!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
In my experience, I have found that the size that a cat grows to be has very little to do with the food it is fed. Obviously if a kitten is starved or fed a nutritionally poor diet it may not do as well as a kitten fed a well balanced diet, but in general our cats are fed nutritionally sound diets, whether it be commercially prepared or raw. Rather, it is genetics that determines a cat's size - if your kitten doesn't carry the genetics to be a big cat, nothing you feed it can change that.

Cheeto's Keeper

Savannah Teenager
Thank you all for your advice. I will follow the link provided and research the other avenues suggested here. Cheetoh eats A LOT. As long as I don't have to worry about restricting her diet as to not have a fat kitten, I suppose I will take a little time to explore this diet thing and continue the course. Any continued ideas or advice are always welcome.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I give Elsa primarily Wet and Dry, and she loves it.... She also has/had a Gas Problem, and the fix for that was RAW, so I give her about a 1/4 ounce of raw or mostly raw food as snack 3 or 4 times a day and that fixed that problem... Probably not recommended, but I give her just a little table snacks (Steak,Poultry,Pork,etc) in very small quantities as I also give them to Jake (my dog) and that seems to work out well... Dry stays out all day for when ever she wants it, and I give her Wet in the morning and evenings. Snacks are not scheduled.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Thank you all for your advice. I will follow the link provided and research the other avenues suggested here. Cheetoh eats A LOT. As long as I don't have to worry about restricting her diet as to not have a fat kitten, I suppose I will take a little time to explore this diet thing and continue the course. Any continued ideas or advice are always welcome.

I had the same concern for a Fat Kitten... I let her eat until she wants to quit as I was advised to do here on the forum... These kitties have A LOT of energy. She is a good size and the Vet is happy with her progress... My vet says up to a 1/2 a lb a week. She has exceeded that a few times, but mostly is between 6 t0 7 ounces a week. I do put her on scales each week to track her...

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
As Deb said, I firmly believe that a home-prepared and nutritionally sound raw diet is the best way to maximize a cat's genetic size potential. My first savannah, Chuju, was started out on a high-quality kibble and canned diet, and he never got as as large as his brother, who was raised on raw meat, although I do realize that siblings can be quite varied in size. My other 2 savannahs were raised on raw from the beginning, and are huge, tall, cats. In my opinion, raw meat is the most nutritionally sound for any obligate carnivore.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I am absolutely a raw advocate, but more for the health benefits than growth. My girl is quite little, but is very beautiful.