Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Is this a savannah?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It could be...at that generation many Savannahs don't have striking enough structure for it to be immediately obvious in a black cat that it is a Savannah...it really is a huge challenge when you produce these "melanistics"!

Unfortunately, if she doesn't have any paperwork for the cat there is no real way to know...

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
What is weird is she says cat is smoke because you can see spots? That is wrong. If smoke one of the parents is a silver. You will also pull up the coat and see grey undercoat. It looks melanistic to me. Also are the pics when cat is older? The ears on video vs pic look different, but if video is when she is young that might be why. Video looks like there is a locket, but pics can't really tell.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
What may have tricked her is that young kittens have "kitten coat" and in the mels (solid black) that gives them a slightly greyish undercoat....that they lose when they get their adult coat and become a glossy black. It can be hard for many to distinguish that slightly murky tone from a smoke where the silver gene is lowly developed... but as they mature it becomes obvious. I just think the kitten was mislabeled at an early age...

Enigmatic.eyez

Savannah Super Cat
I've been in contact with her and she's stating if she can't find a home soon it will go to a rescue.

She claims the original owner moved and is disabled and her (d'ylah) papers is still packed away. This made me hesitant as to actually pursue the cat...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
In the video the whiskers of the cat are bright white. In the photos they look black. I would not purchase the cat without seeing the papers.