Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Is this normal after a shot... ???

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Is it normal after a shot (2nd Vaccination) for a kitten to be sore at the injection point... She did fight the shot when given... or could she be having a reaction... She is much more vocal (Fussing), doesn't want picked up (not normal for her), and seems to want to rest more... Right now she is sleeping on a heated throw...

A little concerned for her.. It has been about 5 hours since the shot.

Thanks in advance.

John Popp

Site Supporter
If she misses a meal or is still sore after an evenings rest than I would be concerned. As long as she is eating and drinking, she likely just isn't happy about getting jabbed and will be better by morning.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
If she struggled when they were putting the needle in, then it seems logical there could be some inflammation and soreness at that location. Also you are injecting a foreign substance so one would expect some inflammation from that too.

I've not noticed my kittens being sore at the injection point, but then I don't poke them there to know if they ARE sensitive there. But it is normal for them to be more lethargic and sleepy for the day after a vaccination... just keep an eye on her appetite etc as John mentions.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
If she misses a meal or is still sore after an evenings rest than I would be concerned. As long as she is eating and drinking, she likely just isn't happy about getting jabbed and will be better by morning.

She at this morning, and wanted to eat my potato chips... She is drinking.. Thanks for the advice.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
If she struggled when they were putting the needle in, then it seems logical there could be some inflammation and soreness at that location. Also you are injecting a foreign substance so one would expect some inflammation from that too.

I've not noticed my kittens being sore at the injection point, but then I don't poke them there to know if they ARE sensitive there. But it is normal for them to be more lethargic and sleepy for the day after a vaccination... just keep an eye on her appetite etc as John mentions.

She did stuggle, you will see that in the video later... She does not want picked up, but is very comfortable on the heated thrown and does not mind being petted. Will keep an eye on her eating and drinking.

Lesley

Site Supporter
Its normal in my experience. Heating pad will help. Also, have u considered purchasing a heated bed in general? One that only activates when the kitty lays on it? Ours love theirs.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Its normal in my experience. Heating pad will help. Also, have u considered purchasing a heated bed in general? One that only activates when the kitty lays on it? Ours love theirs.

yes... I do have one made specifically for cats. I had to get one a number of years ago because when I got rid of my BIG 19" Tube Monitors for 24" LCD Monitors, Sylvester let me know he was upset... I got one for him and put it above my primary monitor... That made him happy again... It is amazing how they can show you that they are not happy in the most unusual ways.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Where was Elsa injected? In the leg or scruff of neck?

Left Rear Leg/Hip area... This evening she was pretty much laying down on my heated throw, but since has moved to her carrier... I took her out to check on her, and she went right back in and set down. I can tell she is not feeling well... Quite concerned, since I feel this is what triggered Sylvester's passing... He started going down hill immediately after and 2 weeks later he was gone... I am awaiting a vet call back just to be on the safe side... But I think everyone here as said what he is going to say.... I will keep a close watch on her tonight...

When we got back she was fine and playful, but as the evening is going on she is not as good as she was...

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
JC, as in humans, the foreign protein in a vaccine can cause a local immunological response as in a painful tender area, and frequently a mild fever. If she was fighting during the injection, there could be a small amount of trauma in the muscle. Being a kitten, it usually only last about a day.