Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Is this normal?

AlyssaRae

Savannah Super Cat
I have been looking into breeders to get a head start so I can take my time and wait for the perfect kitten for me… I haven't done this for a little while and I don't really have too much experience with cat breeders. And on my last post about what savannah to get many of you said to find a breeder who I communicate well with and someone who is willing to help me. Also this is nothing against the breeder at all, I just am wondering if this is normal about what to expect.

I asked to visit the breeder and I understand closed catteries but it is normal to be able to visit but only once you put a deposit on a kitten? Also I asked for references and she said she would provide them once I was ready to purchase a kitten. Is this typical to expect?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I asked to visit the breeder and I understand closed catteries but it is normal to be able to visit but only once you put a deposit on a kitten? Also I asked for references and she said she would provide them once I was ready to purchase a kitten. Is this typical to expect?

As far as deposits, breeders are going to have their own way of doing things. This breeder may want to be sure you're serious about a kitten by requiring the deposit but I'm not a fan of that practice. If it's nonrefundable, you're stuck and if you don't like the breeder or the cats, your stuck. Not a fan of those who require nonrefundable deposits on an upcoming litter either.

If she is unwilling to provide references now, I would look elsewhere.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It is very common not to allow visitors into a cattery and the fact that a breeder is willing to allow you to visit once you have made a commitment is more than many will allow. I personally would prefer to visit your home with the kitten(s) you are interested in, that way I protect my unvaccinated kittens, my nursing moms are undisturbed, and I am able to see the home you are able to provide my kitten.

As for the references, I can understand not wanting to provide references to everyone who inquires about kittens - if I was being used as a reference I would be put out to be contacted by several people on a daily basis asking to give a reference on someone. You have to understand, breeders often get several inquiries a day, if each of those people asked for a reference from someone that could be a bit overwhelming. Many breeders have a page of testimonials on their website, which provides a reference without having to bother the customer with each new potential customer.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
As already said, it might just be not wishing to supply upfront something that with further discussion it would be possible. For me, I don't let everyone that asks initially to come visit. I'm not a petting zoo and if I said yes to every email that asked to come meet my Savannahs that is exactly what I would be! This is my home therefore I prefer not to have strangers traipsing through every weekend. Once I've gotten to know someone, we've established that a Savannah is right for them AND that I might have the kitten for them, then a visit is possible when convenient to us. We have lives and are not available all the time, and my husband has to be home for safety.

I'm not even sure of the purpose of asking for a reference. Frankly, even the worst of breeders can probably supply a name of someone that thought they were great, as long as they don't have an issue with the kitten. You will get far more information by asking questions of the breeder and getting to know them.

AlyssaRae

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you for explaining your side of it! I see where you both are coming from... And about the visiting, I completely understand… Especially about the safety aspect of it. I think where she said I would have to put down a deposit threw me off a bit at first. And I just want to say that I didn't ask those things in the first email. I have tried to let her get to know me and have provided as much information about myself as possible… About my life, my fur kids, what I would be providing for a SV… Just like my intro on here basically. And to show that I am seriously inquiring. Maybe I am expecting too much? I guess this time around I would really like to find a breeder who wants to communicate and talk about things thoroughly… Also someone who I could have a lasting relationship with. Because with my bengals breeder I didn't get that and I kind of wish I did… And I see people on here talk about their breeders so passionately about how amazing they are… I would LOVE to have that! :)

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thank you for explaining your side of it! I see where you both are coming from... And about the visiting, I completely understand… Especially about the safety aspect of it. I think where she said I would have to put down a deposit threw me off a bit at first. And I just want to say that I didn't ask those things in the first email. I have tried to let her get to know me and have provided as much information about myself as possible… About my life, my fur kids, what I would be providing for a SV… Just like my intro on here basically. And to show that I am seriously inquiring. Maybe I am expecting too much? I guess this time around I would really like to find a breeder who wants to communicate and talk about things thoroughly… Also someone who I could have a lasting relationship with. Because with my bengals breeder I didn't get that and I kind of wish I did… And I see people on here talk about their breeders so passionately about how amazing they are… I would LOVE to have that! :)

Well then...you need to buy a kitten from a breeder here :) Communication is very important...I prefer to talk to prospective buyers at first and then go from there...

cmantis

Savannah Super Cat
That breeder could be just fine but that response would turn me away even understanding both sides. My breeder had testimonials I even did my own search too. Communication was great and she insisted I contact her any time with questions and requested updates.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Well the breeders here are obviously very responsive We all donate our time to this forum and in other places.. But many of us do not allow visits... We all have testimonials and prospective kitten buyers can check us out here thoroughly...

Most of us raise our kittens in our homes, so security, possible disease and other factors go into a decision... In this time of AR extremism, I am not allowing anyone into my home until my kittens have had vaccines and a deposit is given... I have had no problems selling my kittens...

AlyssaRae

Savannah Super Cat
That breeder could be just fine but that response would turn me away even understanding both sides. My breeder had testimonials I even did my own search too. Communication was great and she insisted I contact her any time with questions and requested updates.
I agree with you I think the breeder would be fine… she seems well respected in the savannah community but like you said the way she responded didn't make me feel comfortable.

Well the breeders here are obviously very responsive We all donate our time to this forum and in other places.. But many of us do not allow visits... We all have testimonials and prospective kitten buyers can check us out here thoroughly...
Exactly! I would feel more comfortable buying from someone on here because there is so much information to find on them and it's obvious you all communicate a lot and thoroughly.:)

Most of us raise our kittens in our homes, so security, possible disease and other factors go into a decision... In this time of AR extremism, I am not allowing anyone into my home until my kittens have had vaccines and a deposit is given... I have had no problems selling my kittens...
I completely understand where you are coming from… and the not being able to visit wasn't exactly what bothered me. It was more of the lack of communication… She showed no real interest in what I had to say and would just email back a 2 sentence response after a week. If she communicated with me and was responsive, the not visiting wouldn't have bothered me in the least. I guess I just needed the reassurance that there are breeders who will be responsive and excited about it with me :)

Also I want to say I completely understand not letting people visit… I kind of wish my bengals breeder didn't. Or at least not let people around them when they were unvaccinated. She is highly respected in the bengal community but it seemed people were visiting a lot. When I visited Bagheera he was only 3 weeks old and I was able to hold him. Which was awesome at the time…. But people left right before I was there so obviously people were coming and going. And I think Bagheera might have been exposed to something when he was young. Probably to an upper respiratory infection… His breathing ever since a kitten was always a little off I think and there is something off about half of his nose.. Maybe I am wrong.. but the vet at Purdue also believed he might have been exposed to something early in his life to cause it. So I totally get where you all are coming from about not letting people visit… I probably wouldn't either if I was a breeder.