Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judgement Day...

For this incidident, would you have gone to and taken the veterinarian's advice to Induce Vomiting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I have been replaying Elsa (you know the What If game).

As (most) of you know she injested part of a small pack of Silca Gel. I later found out that it did NOT have the DYE in this particular package, but of course said not to eat on the package. I later found out that it may have passed through her system just fine, but then again, it cold have caused a blockage in her system some where else...

I am trying to learn from my mistakes. In the industry that I work in, when someone makes a mistake is brought out as to how it happened, and find a ways to prevent it from happening again. I do not care about my feelings being hurt, I want honest opinions and or suggestions so that I can learn from them.

My basic question is: Should I have waited to see what happened or let things take their course and she would not have had the major medical problems that brought her VERY close to death, or did I do the right thing and take her in immediately and let the vets do their thing.

I initiated a poll, please vote and let me know your honest feelings... not just a feel good answer please. Thanks for any advice.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
The lesson to learn is to look under and behind stuff to ensure that there are no hidden dangers to kittens. Woulda, coulda, shoulda in Elsa's situation will not give you any insight or peace of mind. I would have gone to the emergency vet clinic. I would have had a discussion about treatment options and chosen a conservative treatment approach only if I was assured that such actions would not further endanger the life of my cat.

wfraser1955

Savannah Super Cat
John, I also work in an industry that uses ILP ( incident learning and prevention) to identify ways of preventing incidents from recurring. Im a safety officer at a major refinery, that being said, the first step we take is to make sure that the victim is looked after and receives medical attention if there is any possibility that it may be required. The second is to review and investigate the cause of the incident, in this case the silica gel package that was inadvertently left out. Third, we communicate the findings that all concerned and all those with similar interests are made aware of what and how it happened and it can be prevented. You informed all of us on this forum that we have to be extremely careful when it come to leaving these items where our kittens and cats can get at them. We as humans can get complacent, this is a reminder to all of us. As for the question, did I do the right thing by seeking medical attention right away, in my eyes the answer is a definite YES. As I said before I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a full recovery.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Root cause analysis. Just about the same as the above ILP.
In this case the problem can be tricky, as intentions, concerns, actions, and results can all play a role to the outcome. No easy answer, and as I did not walk in your shoes, I am quite uncomfortable to Monday morning quarterback a situation like this.
My bottom line, Elsa comes out ok in the end.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
The more I think about this, the more worried I am about you beating yourself up over this. In my opinion this could be self defeating, as in the next time a serious challenge shows up, the hesitancy and double guessing may lead to indecision and a poor outcome. I don't think I would have acted any different than you did.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
In my industry, we do both CAPA (corrective action, preventative action) and Lessons Learned (from Proj. Mgmt). I too would have rushed her to the vet.

Within the first week of having our Pixie Bob at home, we had a minor incident. The kitten was by himself for 6 hours and when we came home, he had an inverted eyelid looking thing. Kitten was rushed to the closest vet (didn't want to wait until the next day to see our regular vet). This vet put him on eye drops and 2 kinds of antibiotics. Well, within an hour of receiving an eye drop, his eye looked almost normal. I believe that he might have gotten a bit of feather fluff from the toys in his eye and all it needed was to be flushed out and not further irritated by kitten paws. We followed the treatment suggested but upon further review by both my regular vet and the breeder, it appears that this treatment was a major case of overkill. But, in the end, our kitten was fine. When it comes to my fur-babies, I would always err on the side of caution.

John Popp

Site Supporter
John you did absolutely the right things in care of Elsa. She ingested something that said do not eat and when you have knowledge of that you get them in the hands of professionals. I have a pretty good idea on how much moisture those things displace and it wouldn't take much to severely dehydrate Elsa. Then you have how much they expand, which on some of the product can be over 5x the original size.

Again, you 100% did the right thing and hoping that Elsa has a speedy recovery.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
The years I have had Savannahs I have lived with the understanding that I would rather be a paranoid pet owner than regret later that I did not take an issue seriously. My vet agrees that healthy paranoia can save our pets' lives. If I am wrong, I get to laugh at myself and then ask my vet the dozen or so minor questions that had been building up in my head about other pets etc.

What you learn after these types of incidents is just how vigilant you need to be with such things. But accidents do happen. I actually saw one of those silica packages on my bathroom floor this past week. I imagine I had missed one when unpacking something, and a kitten had obviously been batting it around. I had an immediate vision of how bad it might have been... and quickly grabbed it and threw it away. I castigated myself for being so careless and was so thankful that was the extent of it.

I think you absolutely did the right thing to take Elsa to the vet immediately. I'd not have waited either to see how she did.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I'm with everyone else. You did the right thing for Elsa. There is no way you could have predicted the complications, and it is always better to be safe than sorry.
The important part is Elsa is safe now

admin

Paige
Staff member
John,

I agree with the others and I do not think anyone here is going to Monday morning quarterback your decision. I would have probably done exactly what you did...

That being said...I'm not sure I understand your poll...do you mean that the vet said to put Elsa down? To induce vomiting? Not sure what your intentions are...