Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Just not himself ;(

The Jensen's

Savannah Super Cat
Little background and then hopefully you can suggest.

Makoi is an F2 male who is 7 months. He was neutered 2 months ago. Seemed ok but the past 10 days or so he's been, well let's say "like a calm normal cat" and it's just NOT his behavior or that of a savannah really. We got a kitten almost two months ago that is his best friend and still loves to lay and lick him but he doesn't rough and tumble with the baby or his older sister. He usually a mover and shaker now calm. He's eating and drinking just fine. Comes when he's called but just sleeeeepppy and not playful. Should I take him to the vet? Could it be fixing him just turned him into a lazy butt? He has a rambunctious kitten to roll around with and he just won't anymore. Advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jensen's

Savannah Super Cat
Sorry, wrong info. New baby has been in the home 5 weeks. Not sure if that makes a difference since Makoi and new baby (Lakota) are very loving to each other but want to make sure I paint the right picture.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
It's entirely possible that Makoi, since he was neutered and now 7 months, is destined to be a quiet, laid back cat. My F2 girl is very quiet and a tad lazy...much more so than my lower generation cats. Makoi is still young enough that I am concerned a bit here, though. You say he is eating and drinking fine...what about his litter box habits? Do you notice anything else out of the ordinary, besides his activity level? It's also possible now that Lakota is here, and fully integrated into the family, that Makoi is exhibiting some jealousy....I suggest, for your peace of mind, to have him checked over by your vet....that is what I would do if he were mine.

Keep us posted, and I am sure you will get some other suggestions and advice...

The Jensen's

Savannah Super Cat
I can't agree more with you! I told my husband tonight that he's going tomorrow because even though I am sure they will say he's fine and think I'm over reacting I can't just put it off. He is using the litter just fine too.

He has always had a funny stomach if he tries a snack that won't agree and then has loose stool. But he hasn't had that happen in months since I stopped letting him try new treats.

The only concern I have with getting him check with no real warning is that Makoi does not allow anyone to hold him down. Ever. Even though he is a lover and super friendly you can't hold him to do anything. The last time they took blood because of loose stool and tired acting they had to give him gas. That scares me too. His blood came back normal. Stool normal and never had another issue.

He was playing hard with Lakota for the last few weeks, then stopped wanting to play with him and his sister. BUT he still snuggles with him and cleans the baby.

On the strange flip side, Makiya our female who didn't want to wrestle with the baby took on this crazy playful role when Makoi stopped playing with the baby. What the heck?

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Could Makoi helped himself to and eaten something he shouldn't have? His unexplained lethargy concerns me, as I am sure you are concerned or you wouldn't have mentioned it....get him in for a check up, whether they have to use sedation to examine him or not.

Please let us know what you find out with his vet visit, and fingers crossed that all is well!

The Jensen's

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you. So glad you responded tonight. It reassures me that I'm doing right by being extra worried. Yes he surely could have ate something he shouldn't have. You know how they get. Anything is a taste fest but he is usually my picky eater. I was also fearing he could be have eaten an object but my husband said he wouldn't be eating food and using box if that were the case. I can get him to play a little but for a mere second. Headed there tomorrow even if they don't have an opening. Lol

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I worry about my "kids" a lot, too. I'm thinking it almost sounds like he may have a blockage...eaten an object that cannot pass. You are doing the right thing by having him checked out. I hope you can get him seen tomorrow, if not at your regular vet, then another...

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
FWIW, there is a lot of sorting out going on with the cats. They are all readjusting their roles with the addition of the kitten. They are trying to find the equilibrium. Eating, drinking, and toileting fine... for 3 SV's, all of which are early generations, I would be counting my blessing after reading all the challenges that could be occurring. Could be as simple as fighting off a low grade (sub clinical) infection.
Rascal went into a funk for over a year when Mayhem came on board. He's finally coming around to his old self, slowly. Keep your eyes open. We all worry about these spotted furballs.

The Jensen's

Savannah Super Cat
I'm thinking it's stomach related. This morning looks worse. The vet can not open fast enough. I will be on their door begging to make him feel better. He tried to throw up this morning but nothing came out. He did have a bowel movement that I put up for vet sample. He just snacked on his kibble but lightly. When he is resting he isn't letting his belly touch the floor, just hovering about half inch from it. His ears are showing a sign of distress. My poor baby. I waited a few days because it seemed like he was out of sorts. Now he seems miserable.