Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Just placed an order with Hare Today

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
I decided to get a varied selection of different things to give the SVs and Paz a chance to see what they like and not keep them stuck in a rut with food.

Ordered a pound each of some things and three pounds of rabbit.
Quail, duck, goose, venison/beef mix, bison, pork, pheasant.

Does anyone have a recommendation for other things to try from Hare today?

VioletFae

Savannah Super Cat
Please let me know which ones they like- I'm toying with the idea of placing an order as well. So far, Vivi specifically likes chicken and duck only. Picky little darling.

I also grabbed a bag of Marsh Dog treats and the pet store yesterday for my pup, they look like beef jerky sticks and smell a bit odd, lol...

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Please let me know which ones they like- I'm toying with the idea of placing an order as well. So far, Vivi specifically likes chicken and duck only. Picky little darling.

I also grabbed a bag of Marsh Dog treats and the pet store yesterday for my pup, they look like beef jerky sticks and smell a bit odd, lol...
I'll definitely make notes on how they react to different things.

Let me know how the Marsh Dog treats go over with Vivi.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I too am trying to give my little monsters a bit of variety. I would like to order from either Hare Today or RodentPro. RodentPro has a nice discount offer thru 10/24. But what do I buy? The problem is the minimum order of 10 lbs with Hare Today or the crazy shipping charges of a small order with RodentPro.

The cats are eating raw chicken or raw turkey from Darwin now. Rafiki eats this with no problems but Jammu gets finicky and snubs on occassion. I sometimes mix in a bit of high quality wet food or give them a appetizer of cooked chicken to mix things up but what I really want is some game meat. I have been trying to find a local seller of rabbit to see if they would like it, but so far no luck.

I bought pinkies from Petco just to see if they would eat them. 3 little pinkies were $5! They just looked at me like I was nuts. I tried it both whole and cut up (yuck!) but they were distinctly uninterested. I bought some ground lamb and they ate maybe 2-3 bites. We also tried the duck from Nature's Variety and that was promptly snubbed as well.

So, before I spend a ton of $ at either RodentPro or Hare Today, does anyone have any suggestions? What do SV's really like? I have heard many people talk about rabbits and quails......but the last thing I want is a freezer full of these things as neither my hubby or I really feel like having them for dinner! Or, does anyone know where I can buy just one rabbit locally (in Los Angeles) without paying $40 to deliver the darn thing?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
My 3 have been raised on whole prey so they like things they can chew. They won't eat anything ground, not even rabbit. They gobble down Hare Today's rabbit chunks and bison.

Rafiki, I found this by googling http://www.socalbarf.com/SoCal_BARF/Home.html I don't know what they offer in the way of food but they might have some things you could try.

As far as whole prey if you decide to buy from rodent pro -- keep it small at first. They have day old chicks and small chickens and quail. One of the issues with transitioning to a raw or whole prey model is getting the cat to recognize that it is food. When trying new things, try mixing it with the food they already like or sprinkle on dried tuna flakes or some water from a can of tuna. You can also tempt the cat by tieing a string around the body and dragging it on the floor to kick start hunting behavior. You have to be persistent when introducing new foods. Unfortunately that means you may have to waste some money during the experiment.

admin

Paige
Staff member
My 3 have been raised on whole prey so they like things they can chew. They won't eat anything ground, not even rabbit. They gobble down Hare Today's rabbit chunks and bison.

Rafiki, I found this by googling http://www.socalbarf.com/SoCal_BARF/Home.html I don't know what they offer in the way of food but they might have some things you could try.

As far as whole prey if you decide to buy from rodent pro -- keep it small at first. They have day old chicks and small chickens and quail. One of the issues with transitioning to a raw or whole prey model is getting the cat to recognize that it is food. When trying new things, try mixing it with the food they already like or sprinkle on dried tuna flakes or some water from a can of tuna. You can also tempt the cat by tieing a string around the body and dragging it on the floor to kick start hunting behavior. You have to be persistent when introducing new foods. Unfortunately that means you may have to waste some money during the experiment.
Deborah, for those that may wish to feed whole prey, how do you make sure your guys have the proper supplements?

admin

Paige
Staff member
I supplement only with Mazuri 2-3x per week.
Thanks! I use Kitty Bloom or Mazuri, but wanted to make sure people knew they had to supplement when feeding a whole prey only diet...also, the smaller prey does not have much in the way of bone, so supplementation is important...