Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Killed Vaccine Reactions

Swtrktn

Savannah Kitten
I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with bad reactions to a killed vaccine?

My 4month old SV kitten was vaccinated last week with his FVRCP booster (3rd round) and seemed to do just fine other than a swollen injection site for about 12 hours. A few days later I noticed his throat lymph nodes were swollen quite a bit. He was a bit sleepy for a day or two, but still got up to play and has since been more active. He is still eating and drinking normally, but the lymph nodes do not appear to be shrinking in size.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? And if so, do you have any advice for me?

NOTE: I am watching him very closely and the vet and I speak daily to monitor his condition, but without any other side effects it's difficult to proceed with any treatment (if needed).

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think that swollen lymph nodes would indicate that the immune system is working on reacting to the vaccine and as such not too worrying. I might be concerned at how long it is taking for those lymph nodes to go down though. You mention speaking daily to your vet, what are they thinking about this?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I have never noticed swollen lymph nodes after a vaccination, but I'll admit I've never thought of checking them. What does the vet say about it? Has he ever seen it before?

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
Swelling @ the injection site-a weeks worth before it finally shrank, lymph nodes too but only a few days. Eddie was laying about for 3 days then perked up. I ran him back into the vet as well, I'm pretty sure they rolled their eyes after I left...

Rafiki

Site Supporter
4 months is also about the time that they start losing their baby teeth. Could the swollen lymph nodes be related to that?

Swtrktn

Savannah Kitten
I think that swollen lymph nodes would indicate that the immune system is working on reacting to the vaccine and as such not too worrying. I might be concerned at how long it is taking for those lymph nodes to go down though. You mention speaking daily to your vet, what are they thinking about this?

The vet was concerned that the lymph nodes near the injection site were not affected and the ones at the neck were. He's still optimistic though, since he's behaving normally.
I think you may be right Rafiki, I should check his teeth this afternoon. Thank you all for the responses, it's been very helpful and reassuring! :)