Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kitten in heat?

Taco

Savannah Adult
Hi! We have 2 F3 Savannah kittens that were born in mid July (male & female litter mates). The little girl has been howling, VERY affectionate, showing off her "goods"....etc.

We have not been able to get her spade yet - long story short she has a murmur, vet wants her cleared for surgery...breeder will pay for cardiac workup but not until the murmur is confirmed at 6 months of age.

So, our plan was to have them both fixed at 6.5 months assuming she is cleared for surgery.

Could she be in heat at this age? If she is in heat, is this really bad? What do we do?

Thank you!!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hi! We have 2 F3 Savannah kittens that were born in mid July (male & female litter mates). The little girl has been howling, VERY affectionate, showing off her "goods"....etc.

We have not been able to get her spade yet - long story short she has a murmur, vet wants her cleared for surgery...breeder will pay for cardiac workup but not until the murmur is confirmed at 6 months of age.

So, our plan was to have them both fixed at 6.5 months assuming she is cleared for surgery.

Could she be in heat at this age? If she is in heat, is this really bad? What do we do?

Thank you!!

Yes, she is probably in heat...it is not terrible as long as you get her spayed as soon as you can...you do not want her continuing to go into heat, firstly because of the noise level :)() and second because too many heats can cause pyometra...let your vet know the kitten is in heat.

I would neuter the male ASAP so he does not start spraying, which he very well may do now that the female is in heat.

Best of luck! Let us know how your girl is - I would venture to guess the murmur is benign...

Taco

Savannah Adult

Thank you!!
*spayed -oops!!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Just to clarify - is it your vet who wants the kitten cleared before spaying her? Is he the one who found the murmur or were you aware of it before she arrived? Do you know what grade the murmur was rated? I would not be so concerned about a grade I or II murmur, but grade III or higher definitely needs more extensive evaluation.

And yes, she is very likely in heat, and the boy will very likely start to spray with a cycling female in the house, so you definitely want to get him neutered asap, even if she has to wait...

Please keep us posted!

Taco

Savannah Adult
Just to clarify - is it your vet who wants the kitten cleared before spaying her? Is he the one who found the murmur or were you aware of it before she arrived? Do you know what grade the murmur was rated? I would not be so concerned about a grade I or II murmur, but grade III or higher definitely needs more extensive evaluation.

And yes, she is very likely in heat, and the boy will very likely start to spray with a cycling female in the house, so you definitely want to get him neutered asap, even if she has to wait...

Please keep us posted!
Hi! My vet is the one that discovered the murmur & would like the workup. She says everytime I bring the kitten in its louder...my vet doesn't do the workups but referred me to another facility/cardiology vet for it. She did not give me a grade but is concerned about it (and surprised the breeder's vet didn't hear it).

We scheduled the male to be neutered Friday - fingers crossed that that's soon enough!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Ugh, that doesn't sound too good - I agree with your vet that the murmur needs further evaluation. Hope all wen well with the neuter today!

Taco

Savannah Adult
Ugh, that doesn't sound too good - I agree with your vet that the murmur needs further evaluation. Hope all wen well with the neuter today!
Went great but his sister is not too happy with it! Not sure if it's the cone or the smell from the vet...she was really upset so I seperated them for now - really concerned about stressing her out too much not knowing what the deal is with her heart.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 20