Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kitten licking anus and litter issues

Hi everyone,
Hoping someone might have some insight into some concerns we are having with an F5 Savannah kitten (4 months old).
She was using the litter box normally until about 2 weeks ago when she appeared to have an irritated anus and started licking it frequently. She then stopped using the litter boxes altogether (for both urine and stool). She has been taken to 2 different vets on multiple occasions, but no clear answers. The fecal tests came back negative and her stool appears normal (no diarrhea). Pain meds, switching food and litter, and confining her to smaller space did not help either. Owners are pretty stressed out because she is peeing/pooping everywhere and the vets are just saying they have to wait it out. Any ideas?
Thank you!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
If they switched litter that might be the issue. I'm not sure about the licking, etc. I assume she is has been ruled out for constipation and/or bladder infection? Also they should try Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter or additive to see if that will encourage her to use her box. They should try adding a second litter box if they haven't already.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
I'd also check if they are used hooded or closed boxes and suggest a switch to open ones. The licking could be due to her having eaten something that irritated her on the way out, which may also explain her sudden dislike of using the box. Just a thought...