Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kitten Sneezing

J

Jasmcauley

We've recently had two F5 Kittens, (7 days ago)

and one of them tends to sniff everything new but sneezes quite a bit,

he seems healthy enough and runs around with his brother none stop.

The house is big and pretty new to them, could it be the new surroundings and smells?

could it be the litter?

I might be worrying about nothing but I just want to make sure :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It could be that he's just sniffing everything over too hard and getting bits of dust etc up his nose...

It's also possible he has a mild upper respiratory infection. Although we vaccinate, the vaccinations we give only reduce the severity of infections such as Rhinotracheitis (feline herpes) and Calicivirus, they don't prevent them.... and there are reports that especially the rhinotracheitis might be commonly carried in the feline population so just taking to the vet could have exposed them to the virus.

In terms of that, all your vet would recommend is "supportive care" so making sure the kitten stays hydrated and eating etc... and possibly giving L-Lysine as a supplement as that works like it does in humans with herpes to reduce viral proliferation...

Is the litter particularly dusty? What kind are you using? I'd assume it is the same brand as the breeder used if you've had them such a short time...

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Yes, the sneezing is most likely from the new home and surroundings. If the litter is different from what they were using before they came, then that could be it, too. Some litters do tend to be a bit dusty.

They could also be working on a cold as moving to a new home can stress kittens, so keep an eye out for runny eyes, cough, lethargy, etc. If the sneezing continues or you see other symptoms, a vet visit is in order...

J

Jasmcauley

he seems ok, but he's not as friendly as his brother.

he does have slightly watery eyes, and does sneeze occasionally

doesn't cough and certainly no lethargy :)

Michaela

Savannah Super Cat
I have a SV 6.5 mo that sneeze occasionally but he is fine . never tested for anything but diarrhea that was diet related .

My Bengal is 8.5 mo and sneeze allot
Had two occasions of antibiotics but is comes back . He had his surgery to be fixed put off twice because if high white blood cells .
He has tested negative for feline leukemia and I am taking him to the vet again.
Any ideas that can help?

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
A high WBC count can be indicative of infection of some sort....good you are taking him back to the vet for further testing. He may have a sinus infection going on that is causing the sneezing...does he just sneeze, or is there some fluid or green snot coming with that? You may also want to consider a full blood panel test to find out what is going on, if that has not already been done.

He's a very pretty boy :)

Michaela

Savannah Super Cat
A high WBC count can be indicative of infection of some sort....good you are taking him back to the vet for further testing. He may have a sinus infection going on that is causing the sneezing...does he just sneeze, or is there some fluid or green snot coming with that? You may also want to consider a full blood panel test to find out what is going on, if that has not already been done.

He's a very pretty boy :)

Thank you
I thought he had some dust allergy at first since it is on and off since July.
The full lab panel was good except the WBC

He was treated for a URI twice and had a full lab panel pre neutering which was canceled then repeated the CBC with WBC only

twice he had high white cell

He is still sneezing out mucous plugs with puss and tinge if blood in it. .....on and off gets better.
Not sure if kittens have developed sinuses or if a URI treatment with long acting antibiotic covers the sinuses?

Hope the vet can fifer it out.
The Savannha boy rarely sneezes but never had blood work.

Thank you
hope the SV boy does not catch this too.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Has he had a complete URI panel test done? Since he is sneezing and has blood-tinged mucous pus, I would focus on finding the cause of that.....and going with the appropriate course of antibiotics, which may be stronger than what he has previously been prescribed.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
When they detected high WBC, was there any differentiation of WHICH white blood cells? High neutrophils tends to say bacterial infection but high eosinophils would indicate allergy or some parasites...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I would run a upper respiratory disease PCR panel. It's expensive but tests for multiple different infections so should hopefully pinpoint the problem - or at least rule out the most obvious causes. Has he been sneezing since you've had him?

What antibiotics have you treated him with? Doxycycline treats the most common bacterial infections. You might want to consider that if you've not tried it already. Unfortunately, the majority of URIs in cats are viral in nature so no specific treatment for that, just supportive care (like a cold that never goes away). I'd not put off his neutering too much longer lest he start spraying in the house, then you have a whole other matter to deal with...