Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kittens.... Dreams or Nightmares.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I was watching Elsa sleep this evening, and she was obviously having a very animated dream or nightmare... All of per paws were twitching, her ears were jittery, and (this I have never seen before) the lower half of her tail was puffed out, but the outer half was normal.. Every other time I have seen her tail that way it is all puffed or not puffed out at all...

I hope she was not in a nightmare, but when she woke up she either did not remember it, or didn't care... She just looked up at me with those big eyes as to say "What are you Looking at?". Is this a common occurrence.. this is the first time I have seen this from Elsa.. Like that anyway.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
This is pretty common in my experience, although I think most folk don't see it because they're sleeping when the kitten/cat is sleeping. I've never had a cat wake up unsettled so I don't think they are having nightmares, more likely dreams of chasing that wand toy or a wad of paper...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
The legs twitching is common, I've not seen a half-puffed tail on them though...but maybe it was specific to your Elsa's dream...

My beagle seems to dream even more regularly than any of the cats...he can whimper and be moving his legs like he's hunting with a pack over some fields after a rabbit...at least that is what I imagine he's thinking...

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Elsa just finished with another dream... This time in addition to her paws and whiskers pulsing her eyes were open flickering around...

Sleeping.JPG
She has not awakened with a spit or hiss, and is usually happy... Going to try to get a video of it.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I was watching Elsa sleep this evening, and she was obviously having a very animated dream or nightmare... All of per paws were twitching, her ears were jittery, and (this I have never seen before) the lower half of her tail was puffed out, but the outer half was normal.. Every other time I have seen her tail that way it is all puffed or not puffed out at all...

Rafiki puffs out her entire tail when she is either startled or completely rough-housing with Jammu. She puffs out a 2" section near her bottom when she is very, very happy. We call this foo-foo-tail. When I get up in the morning, she follows me around with a foo-foo-tail and asks for pets and caresses. When my hubby gets up a short while later, the foo-foo-tail emerges again.