Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kittens on a plane

coraljunk

Savannah Teenager
How bad is flying for the kittens? Really? Is it traumatic because it seems to me like it would be. But it also seems like pretty much every breeder with a website will fly a kitten. I find it hard to believe that breeders would put their precious kittens on a plane if they thought it was a bad idea. So I'm thinking maybe it's not so bad,...

I guess what I'm really getting at is I'm struggling so much to choose a breeder and I'm wondering how much importance I should place on location.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
For convenience, the closer you are to the breeder the better. That said, I flew to California to pick up two of my SVs. They were in carriers that fit under the seat and they did fine. The other cat was flown to me in cargo and he was perfectly fine. He came strutting out of the carrier and made himself at home. I'm sure the noise and the strange faces are stressful to the kittens, but they seem to recover quite quickly.

coraljunk

Savannah Teenager
The convenience on my part over the course of a day or two of travel is not a concern of mine. I endured delivering a 10lb human baby for a day and a half and still found the experience to be worth it. Now that my 19 year old is about to move out, I'd like to welcome in a new occupant of my home for the next 19 or so years. So when I look at it that way, whatever it takes on my part to get my kitten doesn't concern me much. It's the kitten I'm concerned about.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
The advantage of choosing a breeder within visiting distance is not just for convenience of travel, it is also that you get to know the breeder as well as the cats and get to see first hand how the cattery is run. That may not be important to you and that is perfectly fine. Many of us have chosen breeders at a distance and established whatever relationship we could via phone & email.

Since you have already noted that many breeders fly cats, almost always without incident, then you should feel somewhat assured that your kitten will not suffer lasting trauma from the adventure. In rare instances, flights are delayed due to weather or other unanticipated reasons and the kitten spends a night in the airport. For your peace of mind if you can't stomach the idea of a kitten traveling in cargo, then you'll need to decide if you want to fly with the kitten or drive to pick it up.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
My three boys all came from an out-of-state breeder. They traveled with Delta PetSafe. PetSafe flys the kitties cargo.
I would not say they were upset about it, but they were sure happy to get out of the carrier when they arrived.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
I have flown my kittens and find it not traumatic at all for them. Adults find it a bit strange but no issues. I think the fact that they are confined in a crate, it helps them feel safe. Plus the airlines are usually extremely friendly to pets.

coraljunk

Savannah Teenager
I guess I just want some assurance that the stress of flying isn't too much on them. If the stress of a new home already weakens the immune system is it really safe to add flying to that? It would seem that it is.

I started my search with full intentions of buying from a local cattery so I can meet the breeder in person and see how the cattery runs. So far my requests to visit a cattery have either been ignored or rejected. I don't disagree with their reasons for rejecting me, (I don't intend to buy immediately and wont be putting down a deposit while I'm there so why bring my potential germs and other threats in), but if I can't visit beforehand and flying isn't an issue I see no reason to exclude breeders from across the country.

I've only been lurking here for about a week but it seems like Trish and Paige are around a lot and would actually like to see how life turns out for their kittens. There are other breeders that would likely have no interest in watching my age progression videos unless my kitten grows into a fine specimen that makes them look good for producing a quA1ity product. I just feel like if I get my kitten from someone on here there will be more open and honest communication that I can count on. You can't make me go away by ignoring my emails if we're both on the same forum everyday.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Our breeder members are outstanding. Most of our member breeders have shown themselves to have the highest ethics when it comes to the breed in general and most definitely when it comes to the cats they produce. There are others who are not members here who are also outstanding. IMHO an outstanding breeder will be interested in all of the kittens they produce for the lifetime of the kitten. None of my breeders initiated contact with me about the cats I bought from them after the first few weeks, but each of them is thrilled to get an annual holiday letter I send out updating them about the past year and each always responds with gratitude that I keep them updated.

No one can give you assurance that flying doesn't cause undue stress. All a breeder can tell you is that they have flown kittens without incident who have arrived in great condition eager to meet their forever family.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Where are you located again and what generation are you looking for?

I own the forum, so am around quite a bit and Trish is an admin as well...but there are many breeders who participate here ;)

Trish Allearz

There are definitely great breeders on here of all generations- and that's an awesome thing! I only produce F2s and SBTs- Paige is producing SBTs- but we can fill in every other generation with the other fantastic breeders on this site :D

Shipping is stressful for kittens- that's an honest truth. How stressful? Probably moreso then a quick trip to the vet, but less so then being harried by an annoying newcomer all day long (like if you brought home a new puppy!). The thing is- MOST kittens will cry when they initially get into their carrier, will cry when they get dropped off and then will curl up and sleep the flight- only to wake up when they arrive. Kittens and cats sleep 80% of the day anyways- so the carrier turns into a long nap for them until they reach their destination.

For those who can pick up locally- I think it's FANTASTIC. I love people who can drive in and pick up, but to be honest- I think it's easier for a kitten to have a 6 hour flight versus a 12-14 hour drive if need be. I also love when people fly in, but to me- reality is, a lot of people find it hard to fly out and price-wise, I do think it ends up being a bit more to fly in, pick up, and fly out (even in a popular tourist trap town).

Just keep doing your research and when the right kitten comes along, talk to your breeder and see what he/she recommends. I know I've even had a kitten hand delivered to me- loved it! So there are many, many options!