Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kittens scent from home/breeder.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I have kept Elsa's carrier setup for her as a security outlet for just as the breeder set it up... However, I am starting to have a minor problem... I want to keep it setup the same way so that she has her retreat, but by the 2nd token in shipping they had a lot of heavy duty paper towels in the bottom of it. The problem now is that most of the time when she goes in there she pulls out one of the towels (only 1 at a time) and rips it to shreds.... She is not eating it as I can account for all the pieces so far. How long should I leave it for her before I should take it down if she does not force my hand on it... I want her to have her security outlet, but I am not going to let it damage her either. It has been over 36 hours since having to be in there, and right now, it seems she only goes in there to get a new towel after I have taken the previous one.

Advice please?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm not quite understanding your concern? Is it that the paper towels might hurt her? Paper is a Savannah's most favorite toy (you've already mentioned she went after the toilet paper roll), I don't think they're going to hurt her unless there's something harmful on them.

Kristine

She's just shredding, its okay, cats like to shred. Let her shred them and use her carrier as a hiding spot. It may be play or may me stress relief but shredding paper towels should not cause her any harm.

Michaela

Savannah Super Cat
Put a fluffy blanket or bath towel in there instead of the paper towels.

My SV boy like to drag the towel/blanket out the carrier and chew it ...
Now the carrier is closed ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michaela L

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I'm not quite understanding your concern? Is it that the paper towels might hurt her? Paper is a Savannah's most favorite toy (you've already mentioned she went after the toilet paper roll), I don't think they're going to hurt her unless there's something harmful on them.

I do not want her to consume them, as I certainly do not want her hurt. I doubt there is anything Harmful on them, after all the breeder put them in there for transport.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Put a fluffy blanket or bath towel in there instead of the paper towels.

Interesting you should mention the blanket. I got her a pet blanket yesterday and thought that with the cooler weather I could use it while holding her... Yeah right... She goes right into play mode when I pick her up for that... but not all is lost at the end of the day when I introduced it too her, she immediately when and laid down on it and you could see her wide open eyes closing.... It was obvious she was tired... (guess the cats meow run got her batteries weak). Her brain was like... Play Play Play, and her eyes were like.. No way...

She slept good last night (on the blanket and not in her bed) There was only one small piece of paper towel on the floor and she did not touch the toilet paper.

Just as soon as she sees me, she comes running... I pick her up and she just purrs. I lay down on the floor with her and she runs around me playing and this morning she ran too her dish as to say.... You mean it's not ready yet... LOL.. I am starting to wonder who is training who... Of course you know I am fixing her food.

MM3

Site Supporter
OH WE ALL KNOW.......WHO TRAINS WHO!! Your little one is so incredibly gorgeous! I'm wondering how different breeders( when I EVER refer to breeders it is never meaning backyard, just so yu know) must socialize their kittens differently. I watched your video and if I hadn't known you had just brought her home, I would of thought she had been in your household for some time. My little one also came to us by plane and when we brought her out of carrier ran and hid. It took a couple days for her come out and meet us. I gues I'ii never know as I think one would need to be the the privacy of each home to have a clear understanding. But your little one is adorable!!

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
OH WE ALL KNOW.......WHO TRAINS WHO!! Your little one is so incredibly gorgeous! I'm wondering how different breeders( when I EVER refer to breeders it is never meaning backyard, just so yu know) must socialize their kittens differently. I watched your video and if I hadn't known you had just brought her home, I would of thought she had been in your household for some time. My little one also came to us by plane and when we brought her out of carrier ran and hid. It took a couple days for her come out and meet us. I gues I'ii never know as I think one would need to be the the privacy of each home to have a clear understanding. But your little one is adorable!!

This little girl once they brought her out first thing she did, and I was unable to to get the video of it as it happened to quick, but she came to the front of the carrier and stuck her paw out to shake hands with me... NO JOKE!.. Once home, her first thought was to check out the cameras... and then she came running to me... She jumped on my chest (I was laying down) and I petted her and she had such a loud purr... The breeder has a big socialization program. One is a lady that was injured in a car accident and the other is a 10 year old girl.... Both work to socialize the kittens. I could tell by the pictures she was a hard one to see go, They day she shipped, I was told to expected a spoiled baby, and they were right... When I go to the room she comes running to me and immediately wants picked up and played with...

She has slept in the house for 2 nights now (so she is 48 hours approximately from the breeder) and this morning she started to vocally ask for her food... Her meow sounds like a small bark and is quite cute... At feeding time tonight, I plan to record it and see if she gives as good of performance.