Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kittens suckling each other?

Taco

Savannah Adult
Hi all!

Looking for some advice -

New Savannah owner here...we have two f3 kittens & they are adorable (although crazy). Anyway, we have a male & a female (litter mates) - born in mid July and they do just about everything together. My only concern is when they start getting snuggly or when they wake up the male will go after her, start purring loudly and seem to try to "milk" her. He just ends up with a wad of fur he's sucking on (I think). She'll purr too and do the same thing...to herself! They're very loud about it and will wake us up doing it (plus she ends up soaking wet which is kind of gross).

My vet suggested I discourage the behavior - so we do pull them apart when we see or hear it (although he very strongly tries to go back at it - he'll go for her back fur if he can reach it). The breeder suggested putting bitter apple on her but I'm hesitant to do that because I would think she would want to groom herself and then be faced with that terrible taste.

While I typed this I had to pull them apart a couple times - I will say they do seem to give up quicker than when they first arrived two Fridays ago...but it seems as if as soon as one starts purring they go at it.

Has anyone else on here dealt with this? Do the kittens grow out of it? Any tips on stopping it? I'm afraid he'll damage her skin plus it's just kind of strange.

ps does anyone else find the bitter apple gel not very helpful? Our male seems to continue chewing no matter how much of it I put on certain things...any other safe gross tasting suggestions out there?

Thank you!!

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I'd leave them be. Obviously they both enjoy the behavior. They should outgrow this, or not....or the frequency of nursing each other or themselves will lessen.

It's not unusual for even adult cats to enjoy a suckle now and then from a willing participant ;)

Just keep an eye out for any irritation: bleeding, soreness or swelling from the nipples.

Congrats on your new babies :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
This is similar to a human baby wanting to suckle on a pacifier. It is actually fairly common, and sometimes entertaining to see what part of whose body they choose to suckle on. I had a kitten I bottle raised from birth and when she turned seven months old she suddenly discovered the pleasures of suckling, so started sucking on the side of my hand. She is now 15 months old and still does it on occasion, but for the most part - just like our human babies, they outgrow it eventually. Stopping the behavior is strictly based on personal preference on your part, but unless he is actually causing skin irritation from vigorous sucking there is no medical or health reason to curtail the activity.

admin

Paige
Staff member
They do outgrow it and I would leave them alone...right now my 5 month old F5 is suckling on my two year old F5 male...so there you go ;)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Thank you all! I will leave them be :)
Hey Taco, it could be worse, they could suckle you. I have a 20 lb. 8 month old F1 boy and he demands a couple suckle sessions from me daily. He has tapered off from when he first came home. I always had soaking wet spots on my clothes. He is a saliva factory. I kinda liked it, but I'm pretty weird that way.:big grin:

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Hey Taco, it could be worse, they could suckle you. I have a 20 lb. 8 month old F1 boy and he demands a couple suckle sessions from me daily. He has tapered off from when he first came home. I always had soaking wet spots on my clothes. He is a saliva factory. I kinda liked it, but I'm pretty weird that way.:big grin:
Speechless......