Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kitty chatter

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Actually I have a few Savannahs that make that noise. I had one Savannah whose 'chatter' was even more foreign than that, I would say it sounded more like a sugar glider than a cat! I recorded it once but lost it when my old computer crashed :cry: You can hear what it sounded like on this video - it is the clicking (also called chattering with sugar gliders) that you hear:

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Kilifi chatters a little like that when she is stalking her "birdie" ( wand toy ) Like she is saying " Come here please...I want you". Kilifi's chatter is higher pitched tho. Maybe 1 1/2 to 2 octaves higher. I never hear her do it any other time. Not even when she sees real birds either through the window or when she is out on the leash.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
That is so interesting Cary, because my girl would only do it when she was watching birds through the window. I swear she was talking 'bird talk' to them to entice them closer!

Carykd7kau

I had a yellow tabby girl years ago who chattered at birds. And I thought the same thing " Come here birdie so I can get you" . But Kilifi is different when she chatters and even the sound is a little different.
Gotta love them Savannahs. :)

Rafiki

Site Supporter
My Himys would chatter at birds so this is a sound I associate with the hunt. But with Rafiki, this is her "normal" sound that she makes when she talks back to us and for some reason, the shower always prompts a lengthy conversation.

Carykd7kau

One of the things that drew me to the Savannah cat (besides their beauty, energy, intelligence, and sweetness) was their larger than normal vocabulary of sounds. Chattering and chirping being MY favorite sounds. Oh and, of course, their very diverse meows.
Normal for an SV. Rafiki is right on track. She is just being her sweet self.

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
My two make some interesting sounds when the mood strikes them.

Yuki loves to vocalize when she is in the window watching people in the street below. She starts with a couple of sounds like 'meh', then gets louder incrementally. Ahmeh, Meh, MEH! It's like she is saying "I am here my subjects, worship me."

Yeti makes some high pitched tones and squeeks as well as a range of meows, most often when trying to get me to open a closed door I am on the other side of. I'm almost convinced he has a name for me somewhere in that mix of sounds.