Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kitty diarrhea! Need help

kapp

Savannah Child
We picked up Our 5 month old boy about three weeks ago, he's been eating science diet dry since before he got to us, everything was fine. Tried to swap him over to evo, super gradually, he took a few bites and got diarrhea. Put him immediately back to sd dry. Been 2 weeks now and still loose stool. Doc said he's healthy, gave me some antibiotics just incase. I've been trying pumpkin, not working, nothing is working. He has a good healthy past record. He's doesn't seem affected by it at all, drinking and eating like a champ.Help please

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Funny, I just posted to another thread how Evo gave some of my cats diarrhea, but I would think that after two weeks this is no longer an Evo issue - assuming that you stopped it and have continued to feed him the Science diet that he was on before. What antibiotic is he on and how long has he been taking it? If he's been on the antibiotic for two weeks and he's still having issues I would run a diarrhea PCR on him (be forewarned it is expensive) to try to pinpoint exactly what the culprit is so that you can adequately treat it.

If the PCR comes up negative then you have to start considering other possibilities such as inflammatory bowel disease or a dietary issue. You can consider adding fiber to his food such as psyllium, transitioning to a limited ingredient food such as Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck, or switching to raw. What does the breeder say? Did the kitten have any problems at all with diarrhea before coming to you?