Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kitty eating kitty litter

Status
Not open for further replies.

MM3

Site Supporter
OMG. .....by way of morning BM I discovered my innocent little girl decided to eat kitty litter for one of her daily meals. Once I saw the stool, it scared me so because it was totally grey the excatly the color of her litter. She had eaten ENOUGH to have a BM of litter. Called her vet straight way, they explained the Heath complications of blockage due to drying/ clumping agents in litter. She said she was happy to hear it passed thru. (Today waiting to see if it is a normal one/ normal color) recommended switching to recycled newspaper. Like yesterday's news or meow news? Anyone have this experience??????

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Yes, we did. Rafiki's reaction to almost everything was to take a little bite. We had to use pine pellets (horse bedding) for the first 6 months. She also occasionally took a bite of that but it does not build up like clay. Eventually she stopped munching on the litter and we were able to switch to clay.

MM3

Site Supporter
Until I can get to pet market I was having to follow kitty everywhere to mak sure she wasn't eating litter. Exhausted I came onto an idea..... I always have a supply of sea sand for various decorating ideas. I emptied litter box out and swept up every last grain of clay litter. Refilled litter box temp. With sand. She was very interested jumped in and had a taste. Yuk... Shook her head in dismay. She paced for 20 mins until she jumped in and went pee but not happy with me. Will get to the market directly. However, she isn't going to be happy with pellets, I can know this now. Life is always a bowl of tasty litter!!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Remember to sprinkle a little bit of the clay litter on top of the pellets to get her used to the idea of a different litter. I never had a problem with my cats when I changed litters but some cats do decide to go outside the box as revenge for the change.

MM3

Site Supporter
Im afraid to because of the amount she had eaten. Once I had cleaned up all that litter she was scouting out the floor in the bathroom hunting for any missed kernels, I guess . I just sat in the bathroom and keep saying it was ok and to go potty and she did.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Ugh....I cannot believe that I am saying this but.....did you by any chance save a sample poo? You could toss that on top to further emphasize that this weird stuff is indeed her new litter.

MM3

Site Supporter
She did already do a BM in the pellets. I'm hoping she'll repeat it without a hitch since she has already done it. I am usually ALWAYS home with her but a friend is in need of help, she is ill so I will be away today for 5 hours .....yikes! Hope I don't come home to any hidden surprises. Now this morning she has already gone pee. Keeping my finger crossed. I believe she will do fine. She is such a good cat. My husband has had many cats before our getting married and he can't believe what a well behaved kitty she is. We're very fortunate, dispite how horrible sick she was when she was sent to us, and all the compound RX's we had to force on her for months & months. She must of forgiven us. She's a definite LOVE!!

MM3

Site Supporter
Out of curiosity, could your cat be hungry?
Out of curiosity, could your cat be hungry?
No, I'm offering food all day long...if anything I feed her too much but being a kitten I am able to. Once she us older and I have to cut back it will more than likely be harder on me than her. For instance breakfast morning medley/ trout in sauce then liver favored vitamins......on the counter have venison and chicken thawing. Going into city today to take a ill friend to doctor appt. will pop in at co-op and get her buffalo or something else that looks good. While I am gone she will have 2 different meat choices set out at different locations for her.

MM3

Site Supporter
Why is sand or just plain good 'ole dirt used? Yesterday's news is FOR ME hard to clean up and work with. PLEASE FEED BACK!

Status
Not open for further replies.