Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kitty nails

J.B.

Savannah Super Cat
Sooo just wondering, do you think that savannahs are better when it comes to claw control than other cats? I know my cats in the past were terrible: no matter what they did, they did it claws out! I know all cats will inevitably give you a nick here and there, but is it something you guys notice at all with your cats? Are some of your SV's better about claw control than others??

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I don't find my Savannahs use their claws too much... even when bopping the dog on his nose (he never has scratch marks) hard. It's rare that I get clawed, mostly it will be by kittens that haven't learned to not climb up my leg like a tree trunk...

J.B.

Savannah Super Cat
haha yes i've seen so many youtube vids of savannahs bopping something with a vengence! I figured kittens would be worse about it just because they haven't learned control just yet. Do you do anything to discourage kittens from using claws so they don't keep doing it when they get older?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
As soon as my kittens are old enough to be able to retract their claws (when very young they can't)... I do yelp when they use their claws on me...loud and sharp so they notice. When climbing my legs, I learn to wear jeans until they work out how to jump to my lap. And usually yelp and grab by the scruff of the neck and place on my lap so they know I don't want them climbing my legs. I do understand they want to be on my lap though...

Anne

Savannah Super Cat
I keep Keegans trimmed and he's very good about letting me do it ... but there has been times when we get playing that I go to work the next day with arms that look like I've been pruning a rose bush :) But this is only when we're playing with his toys and he is all excited and the fact that he's faster at grabbing the toy then I am, laugh, otherwise he is really good. Keegan never climbed up my legs but he will stand with his front paws on my leg if he wants up or wants attention.

Anne

Savannah Super Cat
We play fetch with small fuzzy mice that I throw and he brings them back .. but sometimes when I reach to get the mouse from him to throw it he tries to grab it back :) He's usually really good, but sometimes he gets excited and forgets its my turn, grin.

J.B.

Savannah Super Cat
Ahhh okay! That's very smart Brigitte! I will remember that. Also Anne How old is Keegan now?

MasternMargo

Savannah Super Cat
Non of our cats really use claws when playing. I even have this game with Master: I hide behind a chair, while he is sitting in it, then sneak up on him from different sides and blow in his face :) And he smacks me with his paw. He's so gentle and I never got a scratch and not worried about it playing such "dangerous" games. When I trim his claws all I have to do is give him treats during the process. Margo gets really mad, so my husband has to hold her while I cut her claws.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
Kovu is pretty good about not using his claws.
However, Glenn was super excited to spend time with Kovu (Elijah was asleep already) when he got back from his mission last week. He wanted to cuddle with Kovu, Kovu didn't want to be cuddled & scratched his nose. He still has 2 pretty big scratch marks & it bled like crazy.
Teaches him to try to hold the cat down! lol No means no!