Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kovu update

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
He is doing well and is eating us out of house and home. He is totally transitioned off the fancy feast, which wasn't hard since he didn't like it and never ate it really to begin with! He is eating raw along with Against the Grain's chicken samba, which is basically shredded chicken and some pumpkin in chicken broth. The pumpkin seems to help his potty issues, his breeder mentioned he tended to get constipated, so this mix is working well for him! Since he was a little on the light side, I am thrilled that he is eating like he is, after all, he needs to grow into those legs and feet! He such a love bug, he wants to be held and carried. So different from Nyah who wants to sit on you, but be carried? That is a no. Is that something he may grow out of? I love his Smoke hair, when he hits the light to turns a certain way you see the silver and his spots really show up. Here is Kovu the Parrot and little precious sleeping Kovu. image.jpg image.jpg

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Happy to hear that the new diet is helping with constipation issues. A kitten that tends to get constipated raises a bit of a red flag for me. Have you had him to your vet yet for the new kitten check-up? If the constipation turns out to be a chronic problem, your vet will need to determine a cause (dehydration, IBD, IBS, maybe FLUTD if there's straining but not hard, dry stool, a UTI that is mistaken for constipation).

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
Happy to hear that the new diet is helping with constipation issues. A kitten that tends to get constipated raises a bit of a red flag for me. Have you had him to your vet yet for the new kitten check-up? If the constipation turns out to be a chronic problem, your vet will need to determine a cause (dehydration, IBD, IBS, maybe FLUTD if there's straining but not hard, dry stool, a UTI that is mistaken for constipation).
He has been seen, and checked out perfectly fine. The only issue is he could use a little weight, though our vet was quick to note he is very healthy, just not a round roly, poly kitten and those crazy legs exacerbate his lack of roly poly-ness. Except for day one where there was nothing, he has had regular movements and no straining. The constipation comment was something his breeder had mentioned when I let her know he hadn't gone potty his first day here. I assumed since he isn't having issues here, his new diet must be the reason.

But I am glad you mentioned this because he hasn't even been here a week, so if he does show signs, I will get him in to the vet asap to ensure we find the cause. He is drinking well when not dropping his mousies in his water for fishing games, and is just a happy little guy who purrs as soon as he sees you. He is a wild one, though and insists on bouncing everywhere. Walking is for sissies!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Glad to hear Kovu is doing much better Becki! Hopefully he will not continue to have constipation issues.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
That is good news. He's going to need a lot of food to keep up with all that bouncing. When mine were little, their attention spans were .00000000000000001 second -- hey I'm starving, yippee fooood, nom nom, oh wait there's a toy, yippee toy, no wait, I'm hungry--foooooood:big grin:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm glad Kovu is doing well and hope that continues. As others have mentioned, constipation is not normal in a kitten so do keep an eye on that!