Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kumar spraying all over

Kumar

Savannah Child
Hello all, Kumar is 2.5 year old F5 savannah. For the last 4 months he has been spraying in bedroom, at the foot of the bed, right at the box spring. Also he sprays in the kitchen near the kitchen.. I keep the liter pretty clean. I have 2 other cats, both female. One is 17 years old and the other is 4. I am quite concerned about this, as I do not want my home smelling of cat spray and my husband is getting a bit annoyed by this new behavior. We have always have cats and never has this been an issue. Is it a Savannah thing? Am I missing something? Is he happy with us? He is neutered.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Some potential reasons:

He doesn't like the location of the litter boxes or the type of litter or the style of the boxes. I'm assuming you have at least 4 litter boxes in various locations throughout your house. If not, the first thing to do is add more boxes.

If the boxes are covered, take the cover off. Some cats don't like covered boxes.

Is he getting enough play time with you and other family members?

Is there a cat in the neighborhood who comes round your property?

Has there been a change in his relationship with either of the other cats?

Has there been any changes in your house or with the people who live there?

Kumar

Savannah Child
Some potential reasons:

He doesn't like the location of the litter boxes or the type of litter or the style of the boxes. I'm assuming you have at least 4 litter boxes in various locations throughout your house. If not, the first thing to do is add more boxes.

If the boxes are covered, take the cover off. Some cats don't like covered boxes.

Is he getting enough play time with you and other family members?

Is there a cat in the neighborhood who comes round your property?

Has there been a change in his relationship with either of the other cats?

Has there been any changes in your house or with the people who live there?
Thank you very much for your attention. So far I only have 1 liter box, I will immediately add another one in my 2nd bathroom.. also I have not been playing with him as much as before, I will get on that right now. Yes there is a neighborhood cat that comes around the house. Thank you again, for sharing your thoughts and giving advice. Kumar thanks you as well.

Renee

Savannah Super Cat
Is your kitty nuetered?

I have had many years of pee issues with Loki. Beds, carpets, blankets destroyed.

Definitely recommend getting some other boxes going as Witchy mentioned. All kitties are different for the medium they prefer. My dude will poo in clay litter and pee in the Purina Breeze box. Only took two years and tons of destroyed items to figure it out.

Just be patient! There will be a fix, it just takes some time to figure it out. I wish you luck!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
The general rule is one box per cat plus one for the household so yeah, please do add at least another one and in a different location.

If the neighborhood cat is coming around, that could definitely upset Kumar, you either need to work on blocking his view (window film at the bottom of windows can help) or look into cat deterrents on the outside of your house. There's motion activated sprinkler devices, or ones that spray canned air too.

Make sure you are cleaning up the urine effectively too. www.antiickypoo.com is highly recommended, the Natures Miracle you get at the pet store is more dilute and less effective.

Has the 17 year old cat had a recent health check? I ask because sometimes what upsets a cat is sensing one of the other residents is ill... it might be worth just having her checked out.

This is a cat thing, inappropriate urination is the most common reason any cat is turned into a shelter...generally it is a cry for help. Cats don't have many ways to tell you they are upset, so it is a matter of finding out what his gripe is and working on it!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
When you say spraying, is he actually spraying against the wall or urIt is definitely not 'a Savannah' thing, it is a cat thing (and unfortunately one of the most common reasons for cats to be surrendered to rescue :( ). Has anything changed recently in your household? A new cat, or possibly a strange cat hanging around outside? A change in the brand of litter you use or the litter boxes you have? I am assuming that Kumar is neutered, have you taken him to the vet to assure that he doesn't have a urinary tract infection?

A few recommendations - first, clean everything thoroughly with a GOOD enzyme cleaner such as Anti Icky Poo or Unique Distributors. The products you find in the pet store just won't cut it. How many litter boxes do you have? The traditional recommendation is one litter box per cat plus one extra. Try using Cat Attract litter or additive to the litter box, it works amazingly well at getting cats to use the litter box appropriately. Also, if your litter boxes are covered try uncovering them, if uncovered you can try a covered box. Make sure they are in private areas but are such that he can see if a cat is approaching when he is in the box.