Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Lack of bowel movement?

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
Hi guys,

Leto has been home with us since Sunday evening. That day's trip was rough and there was a rather LARGE movement in the carrier. But I have not seen any in his litter box (nor around his room). He didn't eat anything on Monday. By Tuesday I was a little concerned and gave him a few bites of "Nature's Variety" which he ate with gusto! A little more Tuesday evening with a little of his dry, which he licked most of the Nature's Variety off and called it good. Yesterday he ate more, but I wouldn't say a full cup worth of food cause I was worried about it upsetting his tummy.

This morning he ate probably a half cup of NV and dry and just now a bit more. This evening he was ravenous to say the least. Could hardly keep him from jumping at the plate. He gobbled up most of today's serving. I didn't get the serving weight cause our kitchen scale is busted.

He's not looking bloated at all, quite thin and beautiful. Was very playful this morning but now napping most of the afternoon since around 12:30'ish. More resting these last couple days than the first couple, but more relaxed now. Not to mention he did still play for a few hours or more last night.

Should I be concerned? I would expect to see something tomorrow for sure with him eating I'd say a full serving today between the two mixed.

Thanks for any input guys! Don't know when we're being worried new parents or legit concern. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I think it'll happen soon. Is he drinking any water? He may still be a bit constipated from stress of environmental changes but if he's eating well now, there should definitely be a movement at any time. If it doesn't happen in the next day or two, try mixing a bit (1/4-1/2 tsp) of pure pumpkin into his food. If he is otherwise healthy, the pumpkin fiber should get things rolling.

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
Yep, drinking water and using his litter to tinkle (keeping it rater G). Thanks for the pumpkin tip, so its called "Pure Pumpkin"? I did read big NO on pie filling or mixed puree.

Thanks much!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Yep, pure pumpkin. Try some goat's milk too. He might not like it but if he does, it'll get some more fluid into him. If you can find unpasteurized that is best but pasteurized from the grocery store works just as well.

Did you ever think you'd be begging for a poopie?! When each of mine came home, they ate like gluttons but didn't poop for 3-4 days. Then came the megaturd -- 6 inches long from a kitten that wasn't much longer. It must have felt so good to get rid of it.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It seems somewhat normal for them not to poop for a few days, but if he's eating and drinking and peeing I wouldn't get too concerned. Getting playing lots, I think sometimes that movement can really get the rest "moving" too...

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
Then came the megaturd -- 6 inches long from a kitten that wasn't much longer.
LMAO... That sounds like it should be SyFy's next project!! Movie title and tag line included!! We just spent a good time destroying poor feather toy, he only has a few good feathers left. I picked him up a new one, got it home and the top fell off! LOL Back to Petco!

If you haven't seen or tried a Turbo Trax from Petco as well, Leto digs the HELL out of that thing! We got him one set but need to pick up another to enlarge the track!

Thank you again... some times us noobs need a little reassurance!

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Yeti has been using the litter box regularly from the moment he was out of the carrier. Yuki was a demure, don't look type for a day or so longer, though I am sure she was using the box. I did not actually see her in the box for a week. She ate and drank well and never bloated, and with her thin frame it would be obvious.