Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Leaving F1 Home Alone For 4 Days?

L

Louie'sDad

My Louie hates being boarded, and even when he's had an extra large (double) cage to roam around in. I pick him up and he's stressed out badly.
Is it better to leave him in his familiar, comfortable surroundings for that amount of time. I'm mostly worried because he doesn't bury his feces. His stool has firmed up, but very rarely, now, it can be soft.
Suggestions on food and water placement.
Thanks.

admin

Paige
Staff member
My Louie hates being boarded, and even when he's had an extra large (double) cage to roam around in. I pick him up and he's stressed out badly.
Is it better to leave him in his familiar, comfortable surroundings for that amount of time. I'm mostly worried because he doesn't bury his feces. His stool has firmed up, but very rarely, now, it can be soft.
Thanks.

Joe, can you not find someone to come in and feed him/scoop the litter? I would not leave him all alone.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'd feel uncomfortable leaving completely alone for four days... as Paige says, finding someone to at least look in and make sure Louie is alive (even if hissing and avoiding the person) and maybe even scooping those poops...and making sure the water is refilled...that would be the best plan.

When we go away, we have a friend that comes in twice a day to feed and water. The F1s don't always interact but he does a head count ... over the years, Missy (F1) has come to know him and so will play with him but Nina still isn't sure she wants to interact :)

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
We have a neighbor stop in morning and evening. Feed, clean water, and check up on the spots and DSH. She plays with them and they love it. These cats crave human interaction, even if just observing.
So, one day when I'm out of town another neighbor sees a spotted cat walking around the house. Figures one of them escaped. I come home to an inventory of +1 cats....... It was an Egyptian Mau, but hey, close enough. Fortunately it was chipped and the owner was overjoyed to get the cat back two weeks after it left home.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Wow, RD, that is amazing...sounds like that EM fit right in ;)

Reminds me of when I was a little girl, I had a pet white mouse (and rabbit and ducks and lizards and cats)...one day I look in the cage where I kept the mouse and it was gone...so I am crying and looking all over for it...no mouse.

The next morning, our boxer, Duke, was playing with something and when I looked closer, it was a grayish mouse...so I think, wow, my white mouse must have gotten dirty somewhere...I put the gray mouse in the cage...lo and behold, the white mouse comes crawling out of hiding...seems I found a field mouse and put it in the cage...I kept both until they died of natural causes...

Lesley

Site Supporter
Thanks.

Do you live in area that has pet sitting companies? We use Professional Pet Nanny here in Cincinnati. They are great and very professional. I would be uncomfortable leaving our guys alone for 4 days. Anything could happen.

Cindy Lowther

Savannah Super Cat
I am planning on going away for 5 days this is our longest time span from our boys, but previously on a weekend trip we had a cousin/neighbor check in on them for us and feed etc. They did fine, he said a few times the head butted and wanted some love but more then anything they wanted food..lol. I would def try that method and not traumatize him outside of the home. Good luck!

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
That's funny, glad there wasn't too much drama with your cats with an interloper in their midst! Yikes!
To clarify....... The neighbor wasn't sure so they quarantined the cat in a separate room with food and water.
But in the same light, one day I come home after the maid cleaned the house. My cats are acting funny. Yeah, you guessed it, +1 on cats, a gray tabby. The maid felt bad a cat got out so she opened the back door and in sauntered the cat. I opened the door and the cat walked out and headed home!