Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Legitimate Savannah Cat Breeders - How to Tell

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have become increasingly concerned about savannah kitten/savannah cat buyers being scammed and thought I would start a post about how to tell if a breeder is legitimate...

I have seen some websites of late that have no location, no legitimate names of queens/studs, cell phone number but not location, no real name, etc.

The more popular the breed, the more BYB and scammers there will be...so I will start the pointers for you to look for and I am sure others will add...

1. Website with NO location listed - only phone number, email and text...when you ask where the cattery is located, you get a vague answer. RED FLAG
2. Say they are a TICA registered cattery, but they are NOT listed here: http://www.tica.org/images/pdf/cattery.pdf - RED FLAG
3. NOT willing to have you pick up your kitten in person
4. NOT willing to list actual name of cats - such as...Agato Savannahs Siri

I can go on and on, but would like to hear others add their observations...

My concern is more that people are going through unethical breeders versus scammers. I think if you keep your radar up, you can tell a scam easily versus someone's ethics. But good points!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

admin

Paige
Staff member
My concern is more that people are going through unethical breeders versus scammers. I think if you keep your radar up, you can tell a scam easily versus someone's ethics. But good points!

Yes...that is kind of where I was going with this ;)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Red flag when a breeder sells SVs citing characteristics that are not part of the TICA breed standard -- such as F2.5, polydactyl; when a breeder sends the cat to new owners well under 12 weeks of age.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
...CFA registered, "rosettas", etc.

It grinds me as well when breeders do not post pics of the parents of kittens for sale, nor the cattery names of the parents if they were not bred at that particular cattery....

aharter

Savannah Super Cat
I am wondering what a typical nice breeder/ cattery experience is like? I mean for picking up your kitten or visiting. Should there be lots of strong cat urine smells? Cats running around everywhere freely? The breeder doing the vaccinations instead of a vet? I have never had experience with any breeders or catteries except for my Savannah one, so never knew what to expect. Was just wondering what was typical...

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "typical" cattery. For instance, our cats are our pets, and live entirely in our home. I've been told by many that visit they cannot smell cat urine, though I am always certain I can catch a whiff or two, lol. A home cattery that keeps intact boys inside may very well have a strong urine odor, no matter how much you clean. Our first boy was a spraying machine, and I cannot tell you how many hours I spent cleaning and agonizing over the smell....I am very fortunate neither of our two current boys spray, but one of my intact girls does spray. We generally have 3 to 4 adult cats at any given time running together, and when our babies are around 6 weeks old, they are allowed to join the general population in our main living area. We also have a large kitten nursery and another large bedroom upstairs for the new moms and babies, but have had moms who prefer delivering and raising their babies in the computer room in our main living area. While many breeders do their own vaccines, I choose not to, and have those done by my vet so the kittens can have two vet health checks along with their vaccines, more for my peace of mind than anything else.

In general, I would say that a home cattery that is clean overall (no dirty litter boxes, clean water and food dishes, areas free of clutter, floors swept or vacuumed, a slight smell of urine but NOT overpowering, etc), along with a few cats and/or kittens that may be running freely who appear healthy, well-fed, friendly and happy..is the "norm" I know first-hand. For those catteries whose cats are in enclosures outdoors, the same should apply....

...CFA registered, "rosettas", etc.

It grinds me as well when breeders do not post pics of the parents of kittens for sale, nor the cattery names of the parents if they were not bred at that particular cattery....
Haha. I don't have pics of some of my girls! :)

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I meant the websites who only post pics of the kittens available with nothing more than a price...no info on the generation other than "F6", etc; no ages given, nothing about personality, and NO adult cats at all, silly :)

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
Coming from the buyers side, word of mouth is key; Eddies Breeder was recommended by a friend & their friend, plus I got to see examples of her beautiful kittens before ever contacting her. With the amount of love & hope we put into these furbabies only the best you can afford is good enough & that includes your own time checking them out. We did a lot of homework before deciding, had 3 referrals, 2 with live examples... If they would put as much effort into the buying process as I'd expect them to put into their new cat they shouldn't get scammed...but then I'm a bit of a control freak, lol.