Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Length of time between bowel movements

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
I'm sure this subject has been addressed before, but considering it's the weekend, I don't have time to sift through all the info. Triton didn't have a bm yesterday, and so far, hasn't had one today. He has been eating and playing as usual. There hasn't been any leaking of feces either, nor emesis. Should I be worried at this point? Is there anything I can give him to encourage a bm?

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
If Triton is on a completely raw diet, this could be normal to not have a bowel movement every day. Were his poops before this normal looking...not dry or hard?

Trish Allearz

If a cat is eating/playing/drinking normal and there is no nasty poop in the box, I don't keep track of BMs. I couldn't keep track of BMs of my kitties- they share boxes!

A constipated kitty will have a sore, distended tummy and you will see them go in and out of the box trying to poop. If he's eating- he'll poop unless he's blocked or constipated. I wouldn't worry yet.

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
His poops were normal. The only thing out of the ordinary that he's had is albacore tuna the other day, and he got hold of a piece of meatloaf about the size of the end of a man's thumb. I appreciate your help!

Trish Allearz

His poops were normal. The only thing out of the ordinary that he's had is albacore tuna the other day, and he got hold of a piece of meatloaf about the size of the end of a man's thumb. I appreciate your help!
Hahahaha- well, you do spoil that cat, huh? Meat loaf? LOL.

I'd hold off on rushing him to the vet. Watch him today and he'll poop either today or maybe tomorrow morning. Unless you see him in the box straining to poop and nothing is coming out, I wouldn't fret too much.

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Hahahaha- well, you do spoil that cat, huh? Meat loaf? LOL.

I'd hold off on rushing him to the vet. Watch him today and he'll poop either today or maybe tomorrow morning. Unless you see him in the box straining to poop and nothing is coming out, I wouldn't fret too much.
Yes, he is spoiled! :big grin: Oh...I almost forgot...when I was picked up a food dish he overturned, I noticed that 2 of the little rubber feet were missing off the bottom of the nonskid bowl. I couldn't find them anywhere and am figuring that he may have ingested them. They were approx. an inch in length. My husband was able to break apart the remaining ones with his fingers when he checked to see how hard it would have been for Triton to chew up. Do you think they could cause a blockage? The rubber wasn't thick or wide; just thin little strips. I didn't think of this right away because of all the things I see other Savannahs consume on here.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Any foreign object has the potential for causing a blockage. If you end up taking him to the vet be sure you mention this to them.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
The out-of-the-ordinary tuna and meatloaf are more likely to cause loose stools than constipation... so I don't think a concern. Whether the rubber feet might be I don't know. Even small if they get lodged in a loop of the intestines can cause an obstruction...but an inch is pretty sizable I'd think. What can cause an obstruction can also pass through safely too, there's not always a rule on that. Just good or bad luck.

I'd watch him, but if he's eating/drinking well and active then he might just have a big BM tomorrow... I see you were going to try the miralax and that will not hurt him, just might mean loose stools for a day or two after if everything starts moving through... good luck!

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Good news!! There was a Savannah loaf :poop: waiting in the litter box this morning. I'm so relieved! Thanks for all of your advise...I'm so thankful to have access to all the knowledge this board has to offer! :up: