Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Leo very sick

My F2 Savannah kitten has something terribly wrong. Before I got him from beeeder they said he got into something and was itching his ears they gave him Benadryl and was doing better. We got him and about 3 weeks later the symptoms started again but worse. This time aggressively itching to the point of bleeding. Face swelling ,coughing, sneezing, runny nose, both eyes swollen. First vet said allergy and gave clavamox and steroi. Kind of cleared up then came back again for the worst. Took him to a different vet and they said staph infection and gave onsior and cefpodoxime. Well since giving that it’s gotten even worse. Too him to another vet this morning and they are wanting to do other test; upper respiratory panel, feline serology 1 and 2, I am starting to think that I got 2 unhealthy cats from Exotico Savannah’s. Both of my cats have so many problems. Help! Are these the right tests? Anything I should tell the vet to look for?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
If the vet has thought allergy then if the allergen is not removed the kitten is going to have a reaction. Hence you may need to work on what the allergies are to. The kitten could have a food allergy or environmental allergy. The infections can be secondary to allergies. If I do not take my antihistamines and asthma medications then I will get sinus infections and lung infections...but the root cause is the allergies/asthma.

Which company is the "feline serology 1 and 2" as it doesn't tell us what that will look at.

If Benadryl worked early on, was that ever given again?

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
This time aggressively itching to the point of bleeding.
This is the prime indication of a chicken allergy. If Leo is indeed allergic to chicken, the condition would improve by changing foods to something that contains absolutely no chicken - some brands do not add chicken meat, but will add chicken fat, so be careful of that.

Whatever it is, I hope it gets resolved soon!

So we just left the vet. She believes it is something viral because he is not responding to steroids, antibiotics, onsior or the cefpodoxime. Things have gotten worse after giving these meds. These are the tests vet is doing;
1. feline upper respiratory profile-antech
2. Dermatophyte (ringworm) culture-DTM
3. Fluids SQ 250m
4. Vitamin B complex add to fluids
5. VetriScience lysine supplement
He is staying overnight to get fluids and be monitored. Leo’s vet is going to talk to the vet he saw while being at Exotico Savannah’s to see if there are any reported problems/allergies etc. with their cats. I’m very disappointed in them, both of my cats have pretty bad problems...I’ve had cats ALL my life and have never run into as many problems as I have had with Samme and Leo and BOTH of them came from the same cattery.

I don’t think it is chicken because the food I feed them is fish flavor. Blue buffalo indoor grain free. I know that most foods have some form of chicken in it. I just bought limited ingredient to see if there is a difference, but he is at the vet overnight.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
The most common allergens for food allergies with cats are corn, fish and chicken. So yes, if you get a limited ingredient diet then you can see if that helps... it would be a preferable diagnosis as that ought to be manageable..

I agree it is disappointing to have two cats with issues, have you had any feedback from the breeder on this situation?

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Just as a cautionary: the pet food shop I work for has discontinued all Blue Buffalo products due to lack of ingredient transparency, amount of recalls, and overall customer dissatisfaction. It also made both of my boys vomit when we got to 50:50 transition mix when they tried it as kittens.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
You need to look at the ingredients in the food you are giving - "fish flavor" may have very little to do with what is actually in the food. Sometimes cats are allergic to the protein in the food, but it could also be one of the additives, so switching to a limited ingredient food is a good move. Let us know the results of all the tests.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Did you buy them from Anthony? It does sound like a severe allergy...have they tried prednisolone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

admin

Paige
Staff member
The most common allergens for food allergies with cats are corn, fish and chicken. So yes, if you get a limited ingredient diet then you can see if that helps... it would be a preferable diagnosis as that ought to be manageable..

I agree it is disappointing to have two cats with issues, have you had any feedback from the breeder on this situation?
The breeder was Donna...so not sure who sold these cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk