Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Let's talk cat litter

Tiella

Savannah Child
So I think I am down to only needing a couple more things before my baby girl comes home in a week and a half. One thing I need is cat litter. The only litters I have experience with from past domestic cats are typical store bought clumping litters like Tidy Cat. I live in the country outside a very rural town so locally I only have access to WalMart and a Tractor Supply. I do go to Petsmart on a regular basis 45 minutes or so away to get superworms for my bearded dragons, so I have access to products they carry as well. So please share with me what has worked best for you, if it isn't terribly pricey all the better. It will only be one cat using the litter pan so if that makes any difference.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Please find out what the breeder is using for litter and use that to start with. The more familiar things are to start with, the better the kitten will adjust.

We had to stick with the pine pellets (horse bedding) for the first 4 months or so because Rafiki tended to try to eat everything. Once she outgrew that phase, we switched to clumping clay litter. My preference is that the litter be unscented and low dust. We buy our litter in bulk at Petco. We also use A&H Clump and Seal.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
You should keep the same kind of litter and box for awhile once your kitten comes home. Then change gradually if you want to use a different kind. What kind does the kitten use now?

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Make sure you keep food and litter the same for at least the quarantine period. Then if you want to switch do it very slowly.

Tiella

Savannah Child
Sounds like he uses a wood pulp type pellet, anyone have experience with that type of thing being used for litter? Here are a couple pictures he sent me today actually of her.

DChap

Site Supporter
Adorable :in love:. I use Okocat which is a wood pulp. I use the long haired breed one because it is pellet shaped but they are soft and very absorbing. Different than any pine pellet type I've ever tried.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
We use Pine pellets that are actually horse bedding for most of our cats. Cheap, easy and great for odors. Only downfall is scooping poop, make sure you get scoop with big enough openings do the unused pellets can stop through and just capture the poop. We use this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0...ved_image_21?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Then we change the entire box when about half of the pellets are broken down.