Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Litter box problem fix - Advice-

Princeton

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Everyone!

Maybe I should not share my trick (I heard it's bad luck lol)

I got a few weeks ago my first Savannah and he started using my bed as litter... most of the time when I was sleeping.. I had to do three clean up a day, and he was only doing it when I was home and most of the time when I was sleeping. yes...not convenient to wake up with a number 1 or 2 on my pillow.

I was really desperate my bed room doesn't have door. He was using his litter box maybe 60% of the time... I try to put his litter next to my bed... didn't work. So I had to make him sleep in the bathroom so I could have a good clean sleep.

Online I've been seeing lot's of information but most of it was not valid to my situation. By example, my vet told me he is too young to spray and use my bed to mark his territory. He was just confuse, for him my bed was his litter.

This was until i cleaned my mattress with white vinegar. I also clean my sheets with soap and one spoon of vinegar in the washer machine. He stop using my bed as litter, and he start to use my bed to play or trying to wake me up in the morning.
I'm so happy.... yes my bedroom smells a little bit vinegar the first day, but I dont care... lol Small price to pay to sleep with clean sheets.

if you ever have the same problem as me... who knows maybe it will work for you too...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm glad vinegar worked for you!

We generally recommend using a good quality enzyme cleaner...it is very important to remove the urine smell else yes they will just keep using the bedding as litter box!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
We recommend Anti Icky Poo and Unique Distributors Odor Eliminator....both sourced online and not in stores... you can find Anti Icky Poo on Amazon.com.

Soak any fabric that was peed on with the enzyme cleaner overnight (or at least an hour) and then throw in the wash.

Also know that some perfumes in certain laundry detergents can attract cats to pee... and so can down in comforters and pillows.

Princeton

Savannah Super Cat
Laundry detergent... really? This may explain why my cat did that when I was sleeping on it.... The first time he did it right after I clean my bed.... and then... I usually slept after making my laundry and my bed. Maybe the spoon of vinegar kill the perfume smell that was attracting him... I may change detergent... I'm a guy I don't see any difference in brand.

However I may clean is litter box with it (just kidding). Thanks for the infos.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Clean his litterbox with bleach, that smell can attract cats to pee (so never use bleach on your bedding btw!)...

I use fragrance-free laundry detergent because of my allergies...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm really glad to hear the vinegar did the trick! Vinegar is really amazing - it works great as a cleaner and when used full strength acts as an antibacterial/antifungal/antiviral - I am definitely a fan of vinegar!