Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Litter box use

Sean

Site Supporter
Mokkun is using the box but at times he stands on one side and
pees to the other side and over onto what ever happens to be there.

What can I do to get him back to using it without peeing over the side.

He did about a year ago have some blockage.

Last night when I was standing there and he was doing it
I was able to put his back end down and let him go. He
poped back up and I gently pushed him down and he stayed
down that time.

All three of the cats don't have a problem with people being
around while they do there businesses. Mokkun and Tetsu both
are neutered. Both also will let you touch there tails while they
use the box. I found this out when checking to see if I can get a
fresh clean catch for the vet.

I am up for any ideas or maybe it vet time again for him.

Sean

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
You don't mention what litter you are using? Have you tried something like Cat Attract? The reason I say this is that that particular litter is said to be very fine textured and attractive to kitty paws. When a cat has had a UTI sometimes the association they have with that pain is the litterbox... so whatever you can do to make that litterbox more attractive to stand in the better.

So saying that, I have a number of Savannahs that simply don't like TOUCHING litter, so will always balance on the edge of the box. They usually do still manage to hit the box, with only occasional misses that have to be cleaned. That they use the right area I find myself thankful for...

Or is the problem that he is standing to pee? I have some that do that and the answer generally is a change in litterboxes to a higher sided version.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I don't think you will be able to change the way Mokkum pees, it is apparently what comes naturally for him. You need to get a larger litterbox and/or cover it so that he can't pee over the edge. I use Sterlite storage tubs anywhere from 18 - 30 gallons and cut a hole for an entryway either on the side or on the top/lid. I have had great success with these.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
I bought a natures miracle covered litter ox. They are designed to go in the corner but are really tall and huge! They are easy to clean.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
I just went on natures miracle site and see that they also have a high sided litterbox that doesn't have a cover, maybe that?

admin

Paige
Staff member
I bought a natures miracle covered litter ox. They are designed to go in the corner but are really tall and huge! They are easy to clean.

That is what I use Angie...and Taj uses it as well :) seriously - Taj pees over the sides of the tallest rubbermaid tote - he now uses the Nature's Miracle box

Cathouse1

Site Supporter
Go to Walmart
Get a sterilite container.
Cut 9" X 9" square in the desired side.
Add litter.
Done.

Enjoy cold drink!

Sean

Site Supporter
What he is doing is standing when he used to squat. The little is pine. No clay allowed in this house.
With clay we had it all over the place and my breeder would not let me have Bella till I switched
and the boys seemed to like it much better.
With Mokkun is not that is not in the box because he is. It's the standing at one side and going right
over the far edge. he has some flow behind that stream:eek:. The box is one of the jumbo type but the
sides are low unlike the totes. Bella stands with back feet in the box and front ones on the edge and
goes into the box and Tetsu just gets in the box and does his business. So maybe I'll try a deep box
and see how that goes over.

Here is Bella next to the box in question
Bella Want out.jpg

Sean

admin

Paige
Staff member
What he is doing is standing when he used to squat. The little is pine. No clay allowed in this house.
With clay we had it all over the place and my breeder would not let me have Bella till I switched
and the boys seemed to like it much better.
With Mokkun is not that is not in the box because he is. It's the standing at one side and going right
over the far edge. he has some flow behind that stream:eek:. The box is one of the jumbo type but the
sides are low unlike the totes. Bella stands with back feet in the box and front ones on the edge and
goes into the box and Tetsu just gets in the box and does his business. So maybe I'll try a deep box
and see how that goes over.

Here is Bella next to the box in question
View attachment 11043

Sean

Sean, this is what Taj does...you need to get a 30 gallon tote where the height is anywhere from 18" or greater...