Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Litter box

A

anna.kartseva.739

Hello! Me name is Anna and I have I years old savannah cat f4. His game is Leo. And I have a big problem with him and I don't know what to do. Since we got him ( he was 5 months old) he was always popping at his litter box, BUT I can't not say the same about peeing. All my corners at my apt are smelling terrible, bathroom rugs too, the big carpet too.. He knows where is his litter box cause he poop there all the time and the most if the time he is peeing there too.. But sometimes he is like do it at wrong place.. When we are hit home a long time, or at the morning time then he woke up already and we are steel sleeping, or then we have a guest home , or just without reasons.. We was trying to give him more attention, changed the food, change the litter box, nothing really help.. From 3 times one one time he will pee somewhere else not in litter box.. I don't know what to do.. Every day I'm cleaning the spots and trying to get rid of the smell.. He is healthy.. He has all vaccine.. Please if somebody can giver any advice or help some how.. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kristin

Animal Communicator
He has just one..

Some cats like having a separate litter box for each bodily function. My DSH used to have urinating problems. We had him 8 years before I got my savannah, and added litter boxes around the house. His issues disappeared shortly after, and we haven't had a problem since.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I suggest adding another box in as private a location as you can. The location of the box should be somewhere private where he can use it without people or other animals being there.

A

anna.kartseva.739

Sometime when I get home and I go to the bathroom he just run for me and start peeing with me at the same moment if I can say that.. Looks like sometimes he is waiting for me to come back and go pee with me..I don't understand him..:(

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
Is he altered (neutered)? I had a BIG Tabby that used 1 litter box for each aspect of potty; but he might prefer a litter box in the bathroom....o_O.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Anna, try having at least two litter boxes - some cats like one box for peeing and the other for pooping. Place the new litterbox in a spot that seems to be his favorite for peeing in. Remove any waste from the litterboxes at least twice a day if possible. If you have tried different litters - clumping, wood pellets, plain paper, etc. without success try using Cat Attract litter or additive - it has worked for me at least 99% of the time when I've had issues. If the litterbox is covered then uncover it. If it is small (typical litterbox size) get a larger box - I use the 18 gallon or larger Sterlite storage tubs.

Also, it is really important to thoroughly clean the spots where he is urinating. This means a really strong enzyme cleaner such as Anti-Icky-Poo or Unique Distributors, which you can purchase online. The stuff you buy at the pet store is just not going to cut it. You may need to treat the spots several times to completely eradicate the urine (and a good shop vac to suck up it out of the carpet will help too). You can also purchase Zero Odor to help with the smell - it won't get rid of the urine but it can help make the place more livable while you are retraining Leo.

Finally, if Leo is not neutered then you will have very little success in training him to use the litterboxes. An intact male is driven to mark his territory (and you are part of his territory) so you need to remove that drive to get him to stop.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
As others have asked... is he neutered? That would be a reason he is peeing outside the box...even if he is likely to be infertile at F4 (there are very few fertile F4s) he doesn't know that and he will produce the full amount of male hormones that would drive him to advertise his studly presence...

An additional litterbox (also in a different location if possible) is a good idea. I would suggest trying Cat Attract litter also, as some people have had great response with that.

As Patti mentions, using a GOOD enzyme cleaner is essential. Both the ones she suggested are ones that I also recommend. You need to clean many times and realize that our human noses are not as sensitive as theirs and any trace of odor they will re mark in that spot.

if that doesn't work, you might need to start noting WHERE he is choosing to pee and we can try to help from there...