Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Litter boxes for kittens

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
What do other breeders use for their kitten litters boxes? My litters have a large room. Mom has her own covered box and I bought kitten small open litter boxes. However moms
Keep using the kitten ones. It makes a huge mess. I tried to buy a covered tub and cut a small hole, but kittens won't go on.

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
After hearing it a few times we don't use covered boxes. Especially with taller kitties, not enough head room. :) We use a big, around 70+ quart, tote from Target! I took a rotary tool and cut a entry for easier access by our little guy Stilgar (14 weeks old today). And both he and his big brother use it regularly. We have a smaller 60'ish quart one in another room and a giant one to go in as a 3rd to replace a smaller 'regular' litter pan. They both have shown no reluctance in using any of them.

ToteLitterPan.jpg

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Looks good but I am
Having problems with mommy cat taking over baby kits litter boxes. A 4 week old kitten won't climb into that big if a box. Also would prefer mom not using kittens litter box.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Angie, I gave up trying to figure out a way to keep mom out of the babies' smaller boxes. For all of my litters, the kittens were climbing into mom's tall big box anyway even at 4 weeks of age, so I just use 2 big uncovered boxes (storage totes), and one large and low sterilite underbed storage bin that is about 4" high. I place puppy pee pads under the boxes to catch the litter that might be kicked out. I have a very large kitten room and put a litter box in three of the corners.

You might try using a piece of furniture to place the kitten boxes under, such as a low, sturdy coffee table or shelf that can't be tipped over (or attach to wall somehow). It should be low enough for mom to not be able to use but kittens can get at easily.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I feel your pain, Angie! This seems to happen here too, although thankfully after tipping over the small litterboxes a time or two the mama cat seems to give up on that and go back to using hers. As soon as the babies are using the very small litterboxes I step them up to a slightly larger one, but find they are climbing into mama's box pretty soon. I don't use covered boxes here for any of the cats though..

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Ok so I not the only one. My biggest beef is mom
Is sooo messy that she ends up scooping more of the litter all aver the floor. I will try a tub that is bigger, maybe that under the bed one that Pam mentioned:(