Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Litter Kwitter Training Issue

Michele&Will

Savannah Super Cat
Hello, I have a question, and please dont respond it might be a UTI. I already know that possiblity. I want to bring him to the vet but my boyfriend doesnt think its a health issue. anyways..We are potty training our Thor, but he pees everywhere in the house still (has randomly since he was a kitten) about once a week. On pillows, or in our closet/office. He also pees in his potty so thats good. He used to poo on there too, but now he will only poo outside (yes like a dog) after the step 3 (from Amber to Green) on the potty kit. So we went back a step (Amber) and now he wont poo in the potty either, and still pees outside it randomly. Anyone know whats wrong with him? I dont want to go back to a litter box bc they suck, but is that the only option here? Hes been off the box for almost 3 months now, can he really remember his box and want it back? Even with his box he peed around the house. Please help if you think you have a similar story, or have tried potty training. Thanks!

Attachments

• 14073_10153062201249469_5946286833491071876_n.jpg
    14073_10153062201249469_5946286833491071876_n.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 11

John Popp

Site Supporter
Yes, he really probably does want his box back. He wants it there for his comfort and your convenience isn't on his radar.

Litter Kwitter is great if a cat takes to it. If they don't the issue shouldn't be forced on them and they can begin to feel insecure. With insecurity comes improper elimination and the problems you are currently facing.

He also may want to have a pristine litter box. One of our cats wouldn't use a litter box after it was soiled until it was cleaned, nor would he pee and poop in the same litter box. The eventual solution 6 extra large boxes for 3 cats and we made the rounds 3x a day. Fortunately it became pretty easy, as two of the cats just used the boxes of convenience and the remote ones we were able to just clean once per day.

Not sure how many cats you have, but there are lots of great products out there that can make the task of cleaning litter boxes pretty easy. Ours get done twice a day (3 boxes) and I probably don't spend 15 minutes on them in a week.

Anyway, I hope it all pans out for you and I would start with getting him to consistently use regular litter boxes, and then when you have 100% compliance try your luck with a hybrid box and Litter Kwitter solution.

Michele&Will

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks, it just confuses me that he did the same when there was a box there too. It was clean. Its not the cleaning i don't like its the litter that jumps out with him, always on the ground. All of our tiled surfaces are where guests/people walk and have to step on it. Just sucks, I saw other people have a problem with their cat not pooping in the toilet, but its weird that he used to until we moved up to the next step. We might have to go back to step 1 and put the box in there too. We just haven't had the box for months now, and he isn't even one, i don't believe he can really remember having a box..maybe im underestimating him.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Underestimating their psyche is easy to do.

Black Hole Litter Matt looks like it has a lot of promise for litter tracking issues. The litter matts we currently use our oldest boy doesn't like walking on and jumps over. We also relented and bought a Roomba so we weren't having to worry about stepping in litter and its been a great purchase.

http://www.hauspanther.com/2014/08/19/blackhole-litter-mat-really-traps-cat-litter/

Also, if you have just the one cat try using one of the really large Sterilite containers for a litter box, in the 30 gallon range. The high sides keep litter in and there is lots of room for them to feel comfortable doing their business. Lastly make sure they are clear so they can see what's going on outside the box.

Michele&Will

Savannah Super Cat
I just really dont want a box :( but i think he does bc he even pooped in the box that holds his litter haha. Its expensive too! We have the big box with high sides which is very nice, I think we will try to put that in by his litter kwitter too, maybe he will feel more secure then. I will check out those mats though, he might jump over too haha. Thanks for the input!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Michele, the previous problem of him not using the box could be related to a lot of things -- he didn't like the texture of the litter, the location of the box, the size. Hard to pinpoint the problem without some experimentation.

You're in a pickle of a situation if you don't want a box and have a cat who does. Two of my SVs self trained to use the LitterKwitter and reliably peed in the toilet but never would poo in it so I gave up and went back to just the boxes. If your boy decides he won't use the toilet then try:

2-3 boxes in different locations in the house, preferably where he can go without being disturbed;
try using different textures of litter -- soft clay, pellets, one of the corn or wheat litters -- in different boxes and see which one he favors;
keep the boxes clean -- scoop out pee and poo right after he goes, definitely clean boxes 2-4 times per day.

As far as litter scatter in the house, it's just a fact of life if you're going to have a cat. I vacuum or sweep 2x a day and use litter mats.

Lastly, try Dr. Elsey's cat attract litter in the LitterKwitter and see if that helps. Do the same if you have to go back to boxes. You can fill a box with it or scatter an inch on top of whichever box he favors.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
We tried really big clear boxes, and they just became on opportunity for a cat outside the box to "play" with the cat doing their business. We had to go back to non clear boxes.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Agree with everything that has been said... Many cats take to toilet training and then after a while revert back... Cats innately dig and cover, which is why litterboxes work most of the time... You can try a box with pellets and one with litter... See if he will use the box with pellets... Pellets rarely leave any residue anywhere...

admin

Paige
Staff member
Oh and I am going to say it... Probably should take him to the vet to be on the safe side.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I really don't have anything to add, but would emphasize trying the Cat Attract whether you continue to try using the LitterKwitter or go back to traditional (meaning big Sterlite) boxes.