Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Litter mat recommendations, anyone?

Sunny

Loyal Servant
I have two boxes downstairs near each other which was for training purposes to get Isis used to going into the 1/2 bath downstairs along with the boys that this was their room.

However, I've found that the box is too tall for her and she wants to scrape the edge of the box to cover instead of the litter itself. The smaller box used in quarantine that was my old box for both boys was used perfectly. Actually, I was amazed how deft she was at covering her business.

So I need to relocate this box back upstairs and while I am at it, buy another box for use at work. This means a litter tracking issue in the master bathroom I need to solve.

What's a good litter mat recommendation for a box placed in a master bathroom that can be vacuumed every 48 hours and is big enough to catch the "jumps" out from the litter box since I don't know of a cat that climbs over like a human does a fence and straddling it.

I'm primarily going to be getting this via Amazon Prime delivered to me unless there's a mat so good I get it elsewhere.

Let's hear those suggestions and if you have pics of your setup feel free to link them!

P.S. I use Worlds Best so it's going to get scooped right into the toliet twice a day.

Christina_

Savannah Super Cat
I have tried quite a few, and I found this one has worked the best for me:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3904799&f=PAD/psNotAvailInCA/No

It catches the litter of both of my cat's feet, and the grooves are big enough that you can either vaccuum it up super easily, or pour it into the garbage (or in your case, the toilet). I tried a different one that would catch the litter very well, but I could not get the litter cleaned out. That one lasted all of 3 days before it found it's new home in the garbage. I'm sure there are many other options that are just as good..but I found this one has worked best for our house. It's large enought that it catches the litter (very effectively), it's durable, and it doesn't slide around (we have cork floors).

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I have tried quite a few, and I found this one has worked the best for me:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3904799&f=PAD/psNotAvailInCA/No

It catches the litter of both of my cat's feet, and the grooves are big enough that you can either vaccuum it up super easily, or pour it into the garbage (or in your case, the toilet). I tried a different one that would catch the litter very well, but I could not get the litter cleaned out. That one lasted all of 3 days before it found it's new home in the garbage. I'm sure there are many other options that are just as good..but I found this one has worked best for our house. It's large enought that it catches the litter (very effectively), it's durable, and it doesn't slide around (we have cork floors).
Good to know, I've not used litter mats because either they don't work or cleaning them is impossible like you described... I may have to trial this one!

HappyS

Savannah Super Cat
We used the pet fusion mat but its too small for our cats. We are trying out a floor mat from Costco so far and it's super large and very easy to use a broom/ dustpan

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Thanks for the recommendations! I ordered two of the Purr-Fect Paws mats and some extra Grreat Choice sponge balls which are Isis favorites to fetch with and bounce around on her own. Should all get here next week. I will report back how well the mats work out.

Christina_

Savannah Super Cat
Good to know, I've not used litter mats because either they don't work or cleaning them is impossible like you described... I may have to trial this one!
I would recommend it! They seem to be a bit cheaper on Amazon. When I was looking for a new one at Petsmart I brought up my past experiences with litter mats and they said that as long as I keep my receipt, I can bring it back in 30 days if I didn't like it (even if it was used). So I figured that I'd give it a shot and that 30 days has passed a long time ago!