Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Litter Robot Issue & Solution

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Some info about the LR Open Air that might be useful if you start having the same problem I did.

One of the LR Open Air units I have developed a problem last year where the globe would lift off the tracks during the cleaning cycle and jam. I contacted tech support, followed their suggestions, and the globe returned to normal function for short periods of time. I replaced the base with a refurbished one 12/16. Last month the same unit started lifting again. I replaced the globe. Three days ago, it happened again and I fired off a rather terse email and yet another video of the problem.

The suggested solution this time appears to be a permanent fix -- Pledge furniture polish. Apparently, the lubricant they put on the base prior to shipping can get degraded by cleaning or litter dust. The support tech said the closest matching replacement is Pledge. I put it on this afternoon, ran the unit twice consecutively and while there's still a tiny wobble on the globe, it completes the cycle without getting jammed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I've seen the last of global lift.

Here's a vid of the problem:

Here's a photo of where the Pledge goes -- Apply it with a rag or paper towel. Do not spray it directly on the base.
Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 4.59.41 PM.png

Also, you might have noticed on the video that the internal shield is missing from this machine. During one of my earlier contacts with tech support, the technician mentioned that the internal shield isn't necessary for the operation of the machine. Litter Robot will send you a plug for the hole if you want to remove it. I removed it from this one only to see if the machine does indeed work ok without it. I'm going to remove it from the other 2 also. Removing the shield gives a bit more room inside for the cats to maneuver and it's one less thing to clean.

Sean

Site Supporter
What type of litter do you use that thing?
I am still using the woodstove pellets for litter.

Sean

Site Supporter
That is something I will not use after reading about it. With bentonite clay being in a lot of the clumping litters
and the fact I don't feel it's safe. This is do to some reported intestinal blockages caused by this clay.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
That is something I will not use after reading about it. With bentonite clay being in a lot of the clumping litters
and the fact I don't feel it's safe. This is do to some reported intestinal blockages caused by this clay.
There are litters made from corn, wheat, and grass that clump. I use a mix of World's Best and Frisco Unscented Clumping Grass Litter in all my boxes and Litter Robots.

Hippy

Site Supporter
That is very weird mine has worked flawlessly for the past 2 years..
If I could see it in person I would be able to figure it out..

Once in a while my guys go in it while it is in motion and it still keeps working.

If they jump on it they dislodge the top bonnit

Other than that..
As far as litter goes
I use

World's Best Multi-Cat Unscented Clumping Corn Cat Litter

Let me add I powerwasher the whole unit once a month..
Weekly cleaning by hand.. Never relubed anything

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk