Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Litterbox smell sooo overwelming!!!!

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I skimmed the comments but didn't see anyone mention diet and/or water intake.

If you feed dry food, and/or they're not drinking enough water, the urine will be more concentrated and hence stink more.

In addition to having more litter boxes, also try putting several dishes of water around the house. Dump them and refill them regularly (I have 3 dishes and rinse/refill one of them every few days, cycling through.) I also noticed they prefer tap water over filtered, which is weird, but whatever gets them drinking! Lol.
I have a litter box in the bedroom beside the bed and very rarely smell it and use the cheapest unscented kitty litter from Walmart, lol.
Yeah, my Rafiki prefers tap over bottled but she contracted giardia from filtered tap water as a kitten so poor thing has to make due with bottled.

Sistersavannahs

Savannah Super Cat
I too agree with 2-3 litter boxes.
We noticed a strong smell depending on the food they eat. Very strong odor for awhile... we have 2 Savannah girls (spayed) and a very old grey girl who loves her sissies. We had 2 litter boxes—and the 3 girls used both constantly.
I agree with Pam about checking around the laundry, the hampers, floor, etc....and then encourage them to explore the new pans. Also cleaning where they are peeing (couch) and I’d try to keep them away from it for awhile.
I am sure you’ll figure this out... Persevere ;)