Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Litterbox smell sooo overwelming!!!!

Kodas.momma

Savannah Super Cat
Okay so idk why it's so bad now but when we moved from San Diego to temecula. We basically still keep the litterbox in bathroom except now there's also a washer dryer in bathroom and its about 3/4 the size of our old bathroom. But still big!! But the smell is sooooooooooooo bad of pee! I've tried 5 different litters, clean it 2x a day, bought a $40 cat litter that's suppose to be amazing, nothing is working!! It's to the point of I can't leave the bathroom door open as its instant headaches. I don't know what's going on. Is it because I have 2 cats now? Or because now he's neutered? Idk know what to do I'm 6 months pregnant and going crazy over how bad it smells.

Koda is 11 months old and we have a 12 week old bengal. And now even our bengal is peeing on my couch instead of the litterbox. Help please??

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
How many litter boxes do you have? There should be one for each cat, plus one. So for 2 cats there really should be 3 boxes, 2 at the very minimum. And what litters have you tried?

Kodas.momma

Savannah Super Cat
I only have 2 both in the bathroom. And the second one has yet to be used. I've tried arm&chamber,fresh step,worlds best cat litter, blue buffalo naturally fresh, petco store brand and sophresh.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
I would try putting the second one in another location if you can, sometimes having them next to each other defeats the purpose of having the second one. Cats always like options when it comes to litter. We use Dr Elseys Precious Cat and it works great. Clumps very hard which should help reduce the pee smell. You can also sprinkle something called Sweet PDZ on the bottom of the box before putting litter in. It is used in horse stalls to reduce ammonia smell and you can usually get it at a local feed store. We got it at Tractor Supply to use when we had a DSH that had urinary issues but we don't use it any more.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Are you sure the pee smell is coming only from the litter box? Is it possible the new kitten or Koda is peeing elsewhere in the bathroom, since the Bengal is peeing on your couch? Try checking the top of the washing machine (if it is a top loading model). I have seen one of my girls pee into my washing machine via the lid.

Also check the bathtub and sink drains for pee odors. Are there any laundry baskets of either clean or dirty clothes that may have been peed on?

I agree that trying another litter box elsewhere in your home may help, as well as the addition of Dr. Elsey's Cat or Kitten Attract litter: http://www.preciouscat.com/litter-box-solutions/

Is the type of litter you are using the sort that you only dump it out thoroughly once a month?

I use pine pellets and am very satisfied with how well they absorb the odor of cat urine. The pellets are completely replaced once a week and scooped several times a day.

It's very likely your pregnancy (congratulations!) is making you more sensitive to odors that may not have bothered you in the past.

And lastly....how long was the new kitten allowed to acclimate to your home and pets? If he is the culprit for both the couch and bathroom odor, he may need to spend a week or so in one small room to relearn to use the litter box. He may not like the sensation of the litter you are using, so you might have to experiment with others, and ask the breeder he came from what litter he was using at their home. Be sure you are using an enzyme cleaner to clean the couch. Anti-Icky Poo and Unique Distributors both make pet odor removers that work:

http://www.antiickypoo.com/

http://www.uniquedistributing.com/index.php?cPath=2

I hope you can get to the bottom of the odor source!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Okay so idk why it's so bad now but when we moved from San Diego to temecula. We basically still keep the litterbox in bathroom except now there's also a washer dryer in bathroom and its about 3/4 the size of our old bathroom. But still big!! But the smell is sooooooooooooo bad of pee! I've tried 5 different litters, clean it 2x a day, bought a $40 cat litter that's suppose to be amazing, nothing is working!! It's to the point of I can't leave the bathroom door open as its instant headaches. I don't know what's going on. Is it because I have 2 cats now? Or because now he's neutered? Idk know what to do I'm 6 months pregnant and going crazy over how bad it smells.

Koda is 11 months old and we have a 12 week old bengal. And now even our bengal is peeing on my couch instead of the litterbox. Help please??

Having just been through a pregnancy, I might suspect that part of the issue is exactly that. Your sense of smell is heightened, I was brought to retching by litterboxes even when they were out in the open in our house.

But if you have two cats you need at least two litterboxes, preferably three and at least two locations... for complete litterbox harmony...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I would try putting the second one in another location if you can, sometimes having them next to each other defeats the purpose of having the second one. Cats always like options when it comes to litter. We use Dr Elseys Precious Cat and it works great. Clumps very hard which should help reduce the pee smell. You can also sprinkle something called Sweet PDZ on the bottom of the box before putting litter in. It is used in horse stalls to reduce ammonia smell and you can usually get it at a local feed store. We got it at Tractor Supply to use when we had a DSH that had urinary issues but we don't use it any more.
Yes, according to many feline behaviorists, two litterboxes side by side is seen as just the one box...