Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Liver enzyme question

Krisbaker

Savannah Kitten
Hi, my F3c female was spayed at 7 months and prior to her surgery I had a full blood panel run her and she had slightly elevated liver enzymes. My vet advised me that this could be due to her diet change. I changed her from royal canin to Orijen regional red a much higher protein diet. I am curious if this could be due to her serval heritage and she could have a smaller liver causing her levels to be elevated. My vet stated it could also be due to her growth rate and that can cause slight elevation. I was advised to recheck her enzymes in few months to see if they have normalized. Has anyone else had or see this issue before? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
All 3 of my cats have slightly elevated liver enzymes and my vet claims its indicative of their diet of whole prey and due to the amount of protein they ingest.

Krisbaker

Savannah Kitten
My vet was saying that the test levels are lower then then should be because they were established a long time ago before high quality food was available. I guess they are looking into modifying the range due to the new high quality diets. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with the liver enzyme issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
My vet was saying that the test levels are lower then then should be because they were established a long time ago before high quality food was available.
Well that's an interesting piece of information. I wouldn't give it a second thought after hearing that. I am told SV's could have smaller livers and the food is certainly better over the years.
Next time you see him, you might ask if there are any clinical correlations observable in your cat with the elevated liver enzymes.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
This is a list of 'normal' lab values for servals. Whenever one of my Savannahs has an abnormal lab I compare it to this chart, and if it falls within the serval range I don't worry. This has a lot of extraneous info but basically you want to look at the minimum and maximum values to find your normal range.

I would not ignore abnormal liver enzymes though without getting them repeated - if they remain about the same or have improved then I would not worry, but if they are continuing to elevate I would pursue further investigation.

Attachments

wfraser1955

Savannah Super Cat
This is a list of 'normal' lab values for servals. Whenever one of my Savannahs has an abnormal lab I compare it to this chart, and if it falls within the serval range I don't worry. This has a lot of extraneous info but basically you want to look at the minimum and maximum values to find your normal range.

I would not ignore abnormal liver enzymes though without getting them repeated - if they remain about the same or have improved then I would not worry, but if they are continuing to elevate I would pursue further investigation.
good info to have on hand, thank you