Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Lola suffering hair loss !!!!!

Vito

Site Supporter
Hi All, Have noticed over the last few days that Lola is pulling her fur out from the top of her hind leg and flank. The skin is not broken and does not appear to be irritated or sore looking, infact t's very smooth. She has just turned 1 year old, no changes to diet, up to date on parasitic treatments and generally a very happy, playful girl. I don't think or believe her to be stressed, there's no bullying going on that I see and she plays constantly with Vito and Franco who are not displaying any similar problem. Did try to snap a quick photo but the little pocket rocket won't stay still. First time I've came across this with any of my Savannahs and would appreciate any input or advice, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
When you say parasitic treatments, you mean she is up to date on flea meds? As that is a common cause of overgrooming even if you don't see the fleas. What are you using for flea control as I've heard from my vet that not all are working as well as they used to on this...

It could be food allergies, or an allergy to litter if you use a plant-based litter.

Vito

Site Supporter
When you say parasitic treatments, you mean she is up to date on flea meds? As that is a common cause of overgrooming even if you don't see the fleas. What are you using for flea control as I've heard from my vet that not all are working as well as they used to on this...

It could be food allergies, or an allergy to litter if you use a plant-based litter.
Hi Brigitte, yes up to date on flea meds, always use Fibrotec it's a combination flea/tick treatment, when or if that's not available, I use Front line. We've had her since she was 16 weeks old (she's 1yr now) and she's always been fed the same diet with no changes. Their litter is wood pellet type, which was also used by breeder.
It's a bit puzzling really as there's been no changes to anything. I know cats will overgroom if stressed but I really don't see that being an issue here as she seems very contented and her usual happy little self.
Do you think it could be down to her moult?? Obviously I won't let it continue much longer without seeing our vet, it's just that it's the first time any of the guys have had this problem. Thanks for your prompt reply. Much appreciated.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Allergies can happen when there were none before. So not changing things whilst good information doesn't rule out her developing one. You could try just changing the litter, use paper pellets maybe for a couple weeks and see? Or crystals?

I hadn't heard of Fiprotec but looked it up and it seems to be specifically for prevention of flea dermatitis so that seems a good thing.

Food allergies can develop over time. My Zari was fed mostly rabbit for her first three years but then developed an allergy to it and now eats chicken for that reason (opposite to most cats who need the reverse change!)... her allergy showed with vomiting but I have heard of food allergies causing skin irritation.

Given you are sure she is not stressed to overgroom, my tendency would be to suspect allergy of some sort, but yes best to see your vet! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Vito

Site Supporter
Yes I think it must be an allergy Brigitte, I'll try her on different litter first then do elimination with her different foods and see how she goes on that, she did actually have a little turkey on two consecutive days , I wonder if that could be the cause. I suppose it will just be a question of elimination until I find the cause. Will keep you posted on what happens, again thanks for your advice, have a good weekend.