Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long lasting inner ear infection

Sage Isleib

Savannah Teenager
My girl Freckles had a recent issue with an Upper Respiratory Infection. We had to spend a lot of time at the vets office. We managed to get through that, but after that her equilibrium has suffered and we spent a little more time in the vet office. She has scratched at her ears giving us the tell tale signs and walking somewhat sideways, head lop sided to the left and fear of jumping or heights as she has pummeled a few times. We have had the vet do and ear cleansing, oral liquid as well as pill antibiotics as well as ear drop antibiotics. This has been on going for about a month and a half. The vet is at a loss of what to do other that just keep her on the antibiotics. Has anybody had this issue? If so what treatment worked as well as the time frame until full recovery? I can't stand to see my girl mopy.
:(

Sage Isleib

Savannah Teenager
The only thing about that description is that she isn't always wobbling and has been improving at a slow rate. The vestibular is a lot more extreme than what she has endured. If she isn't 100% by the end of this latest script then I will have him check her for that for a fail safe measure.

Katmandu

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
One of mine has vestibular disorder and he is also deaf. His episodes were extreme when he was young and then tapered off to occasional bouts of nystagma and dizziness. Even when he isn't having symptoms, he has trouble figuring out the location of his right rear leg when he climbs on things. He hasn't had an episode in 2 yrs thank goodness.

If your cat as a recurring infection perhaps there is some irregularity with the structure of her ear? Or maybe she's just having problems due to all the medications being put in her ear. Or she could be allergic to something in the house or in her food that mimics an ear infection. I had that happen with a cat. Turned out she was allergic to corn that was an ingredient in her cat food and her ears got all crusty with black goo that was first diagnosed and treated as ear mites.

Sage Isleib

Savannah Teenager
We have been diligent and gentle at cleaning her ears. I personally think the ear drops have played a role and the Doc insists that the meds would only temporary after the drops are put in place but the last one he used he said it would take around a week for it to either dry up or ooze out on it's own. He is a great vet but I will get a second opinion before too long if she doesn't change soon. My wife says I am being impatient but month's just seem too long with alllll the 4 different antibiotics administered to her. I want to gather as many possible ailments to suggest he check if we have to return visit.

Katmandu

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I think it's good that you're developing a list of things to talk about. Someone on here, sorry I can't remember who, had her cat develop vestibular issues and deafness from having her ears flushed at the vet (I think because of wax build-up). She posted about it here a couple of months ago. It was devastating for her and the cat. It's so difficult when we try to take good care of our animals and sometimes the treatment becomes a bigger issue than the illness/disease.

Sage Isleib

Savannah Teenager
I agree but with pets it's a hit or miss because all we get are visual details about illness due to the lack of ability to just tell me what doesn't feel right on her. If I could teach her to spell or use sign language, I believe we could get her feeling better sooner. Lol

Katmandu