Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long, Low Growl

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
My son and I were in Triton's room with the door closed, playing "fetch" with him. He was quiet, and happily chasing after his toy. My husband decided to join the group, and cracked the door, waiting to make sure Triton wasn't near it, ready to run out, as Cleo was running around. Triton stopped, toy in mouth, and began a long, low growl that we had never heard before. I looked to the door, and saw a glimpse of Cleo on the other side. Triton continued his low growling, never dropping the toy. My husband scooted Cleo away from the door, and entered. Triton remained staring at the closed door, toy in mouth, and growling. He finally came over to my son and me, dropping the toy, and the game resumed. Each time he retrieved it, he would pause, growl long and low, then drop the toy for us to toss again.

We haven't resumed the introductions, as we were waiting for him to heal from his neuter. Tomorrow will be a week since his surgery, and we were going to begin again, nice and slow through a cracked doorway. Is today's growling behavior an indication that these two will never get along? Cleo wasn't making any attempt to make contact; she just sat quietly peeking through the crack. Should I be really concerned? I just don't get it...with the exception of a slight few, most people on the board don't have too many problems getting their cats together. Why are we having so many issues?

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Sorry, Paige...I should have posted this under the behavior forum. Feel free to move it for me if you'd like.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
FYI, It freaked me out when it first happened. I was about to get mad at Mayhem. It happened three time in a row. I sent a note to the breeder who quickly got back to me and let me know I could hurt the cat's feelings as this is common and the cat is proud about his catch.

scorpius

Chirps & Massive Headbutts
Triton stopped, toy in mouth, and began a long, low growl that we had never heard before.

If it helps...or maybe not quite the same situation as yours with Triton? Shango very occasionally will do a low growl to Amaury, when he has a toy he really, really likes or a piece of beef (which he really, really likes!). Amaury will do the same thing, but it has be something he really, really likes! And it doesn't happen that often, maybe once per week at most. Never any fighting or scratching, just they let each other know verbally "hey this is mine man!". The other one always stays away in this case. And afterwards, it's best buddies, playing and cleaning each other again. dj

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Oh cool! Don't Panic. That is not what you think. Mayhem did that a lot when he was young. He is playing with you. He is not mad, he does not mean any harm. He is telling other cats this is his. He probably will give you the toy. He might even play tug of war with it.
Whew, that's a relief! The only thing is, he never did that until he saw Cleo on the other side of the door. His ears weren't back, which I know is a good sign! We wanted to laugh, but at the same time, were worried that it could have meant something negative toward Cleo. So, he was just playing and staking a claim? I can live with that! :up: I notice that despite the fact that all 3 cats are rotated in the play room, they don't generally play with each other's toys.