Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a tent, teepee or yurt for Rafiki

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Rafiki is a nervous eater. When she was little, Jammu had some food aggression issues. She used to run off and leave her food at the smallest growl. Since then, she has realized that she is much faster than he is and does the dart and dash for treats. Dinner however remains an issue. She is a grazer and he devours his food in seconds. With all that she went thru last year, she tends to be very twitchy around food. This was probably not helped by the crazy lady that chased her throughout the house for months begging her to eat. She will start twitching at the hind quarters and then the ears until she bolts out of the room. The hubby entering the kitchen will trigger this reaction. She is good if she can be isolated - the top of the armoire in the upstairs den or inside the caterpillar tunnel seem to provide calm. Both of these objects are upstairs rather than near the kitchen so I am seeking an alternative.

I am looking for a reasonably priced tent, teepee or yurt type of object that I could turn into her personal dining room. Anyone have any suggestions?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Easy. You can buy a kid tent at toys r us relatively cheap, $25 or so. Those marketed as "pet" tents tend to be higher prices.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
The makers of the Litter Robot make a 'safe' house specifically for this purpose. If Rafiki is smaller than Jammu you should be able to adjust the doorway so only she can get in. It looks like the price has gone up though so not sure it would be considered affordable: https://www.litter-robot.com/feed-safe.html

There are also feeding dispensers that are keyed to a collar so that only the critter wearing the collar can open the door to eat - also pretty pricey though, if I recall correctly...

Rafiki

Site Supporter
To be clear, Jammu is no longer aggressive around food. And, even when he was, he would hiss, growl or occasionally place his massive paw on her head and push it down but he never bit or struck her.

I am looking for something that gives her the sense of being in a protected area and not being out in the open. At first I was thinking that I needed to build a feeding perch for her but that only gets her away from Jammu and does not solve the issue of having my hubby come thumping into the kitchen and spooking her.

I will look at Toys R Us tents and see what is available. I had started looking in Amazon for pet tents/teepee /yurts and found the price to be quite high. Not to mention the fact that they all seem to be built for a 7-10 lb cat. When I looked at the kids stuff, so many of them were either huge (I do not want a 7' teepee!) or with see thru mesh that would defeat the purpose.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Why don't you try looking for a soft sided crate on Craigslist or eBay? A 36" or 40" should be plenty big enough, and if the soft sides don't seem to give enough protection you can always cover it with a blanket or two.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Why don't you try looking for a soft sided crate on Craigslist or eBay? A 36" or 40" should be plenty big enough, and if the soft sides don't seem to give enough protection you can always cover it with a blanket or two.
I don't want anything that reminds her of her cat carrier tho.....for some reason, after being carted off to the vet every week or so for 6 months have made her despise them. Do you think that it would be different enough?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
What about one of these? Too much of a resemblance to regular crate? If it works for her and she needs more privacy, you can cover all or 1/2 with a sheet or towel.

Attachments

• dog crate.jpg
    dog crate.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 9

Rafiki

Site Supporter
What about one of these? Too much of a resemblance to regular crate? If it works for her and she needs more privacy, you can cover all or 1/2 with a sheet or towel.
If I used a regular crate, I would need something to cover the top and sides. I cannot imagine having a towel covered crate near the kitchen. I unfortunately can very much imagine having to return the towel back to the crate daily as I am pretty sure the cats would be dragging it throughout the house.

This soft crate looks nice and is quite affordable but if she thinks it looks too much like her carriers it will be anything but calming.
soft crate.jpg

I checked out the ToysRUs website and they do seem to have quite the variety at a decent price. I will swing by there this weekend and check them out in person. It does not need to be very big....a 2' x 2' footprint would probably work as long as it was taller than her.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
If you haven't already done it, when you google "pet tents" all sorts come up in images and there is a huge selection of sizes. Some are flimsy, some are sturdy. If the toys r us selection isn't sufficient, you may have to get one online that meets your needs.