Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Looking For Clicker Training Help

L

Louie'sDad

I'll give it a try. Is there an online resource that I can find, or perhaps anything on this website?
Thanks in advance.
Joe

D

Dantes

There's a ton of stuff if you google "Cat agility training" or even "Cat clicker training" or even just "Cat training."

http://www.catster.com/cat-behavior/clicker-training-for-cats

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=0Z1tYEWG2fVq4n9h5WDWFg&bvm=bv.56988011,d.aWM

I've probably posted other links on this site before, try searching my profile or just put those search terms in the search box.

The actual procedure is simple though. Encourage your cat to do what you want him to, then click, followed by a treat. Do it enough times so that he knows that following a click he will get a treat. In the beginning, you'll click for him moving in the right direction, then you'll click when he gets to where he's directed, then you'll click when he gets to where he's directed and sits down. Little steps, lots of rewards. Don't rush him. And sometimes you might have to take a step back.

L

Louie'sDad

Thanks Pam and "Dantes".
Not much response here. This topic been beat to death?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I've no experience with clicker training to give... it seems that you need a cat that responds to treats well to be able to do this and most mine can take or leave almost any treat I can offer... hence I've not pursued it. It's one of those "when I have more time" things that I've not gotten around to!

I would have recommended Marilyn's book as above... or googling the subject. I am sure there have to be a lot of Youtube videos out there demonstrating techniques.

D

Dantes

Thanks Pam and "Dantes".
Not much response here. This topic been beat to death?

I thought i gave you quite a bit of response/free advice, here and on the other thread, this is kind of insulting.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1890948144/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=dancingthough-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1890948144] [/URL]
https://www.google.com/search?q=cat clicker training&oq=cat click&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i60l2j0l2.8235j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Watch as this woman trains a rescue, day by day, over maybe 50 videos. As i said above, its not difficult but does take patience.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dantes

I've no experience with clicker training to give... it seems that you need a cat that responds to treats well to be able to do this and most mine can take or leave almost any treat I can offer... hence I've not pursued it. It's one of those "when I have more time" things that I've not gotten around to!

I would have recommended Marilyn's book as above... or googling the subject. I am sure there have to be a lot of Youtube videos out there demonstrating techniques.

I dont free feed, so training time is usually first thing in the morning or when i first get home from work. Sometimes they arent hungry before dinner which cues me that i might be feeding too much (but dont worry, they arent at all under fed lol).

L

Louie'sDad

Exactly why I shelved the idea. I'm thinking of timing any training to when he's hungry (before his morning and evening meal). Even so, I'm not optimistic. Cat's don't respond well to training, so an animal who is 60% wildcat seems virtually impossible.

On another note, you'll remember that Louie was no longer destroying his Louie-proofed living space. Well, check that, because he's discovered that I have a rug at the entry door (been there all the while), and that my vertical blinds can be pulled until each hanging member detaches and then can be chewed and mangled.

L

Louie'sDad

I thought i gave you quite a bit of response/free advice, here and on the other thread, this is kind of insulting.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cat clicker training&oq=cat click&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i60l2j0l2.8235j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Watch as this woman trains a rescue, day by day, over maybe 50 videos. As i said above, its not difficult but does take patience.

Aw, I didn't mean to insult you. I did offer a thank you in the prior post. The "not much response" comment was meant to solicit more participants. Your advice was excellent and appreciated.:)