Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for suggestions on food

NikkiA

Site Supporter
We have three boys. Jarvis will eat anything. Never has an upset stomach. D will eat most of what we offer, but red meat gives him an upset tummy. Mickey will eat anything that fits in his mouth. I mean that literally. Coins. Buttons. Green Veggies (when we drop them on the floor and he is too fast ONLY).
Right now, they eat blue buffalo wilderness wet food every morning (they share two 3oz cans) and I leave blue buffalo wilderness dry food out 24/7. They eat the duck recipe. I try to supplement their food with 1-2 ounces of human grade meat each daily, which I tend to hand feed to them in the evening so that one cat doesn't get it all.
I am looking for suggestions for improvements in their diet.
They all love chicken, turkey, and pork. They like venison and duck but don't get it often.
Jarvis likes beef and buffalo also.
Mickey and D do not.
I primarily give them cooked meat, Jarvis is the only one I regularly give raw. He gets some of whatever dinner is for the humans before it is cooked (without any spices).
I'm looking for suggestions for the volume of meat and kind of meat to feed during the day if I reduce the amount of available dry. I have a pecking order in my house, and Jarvis is dominant, than D, then little Mickey. Jarvis never hits "done" regardless how much meat I am feeding.
Mickey won't eat if Jarvis is within 3-4 feet of his dish- he backs away. That is one of the reasons I always leave dry out.
We leave for work in the morning at 8:15, and Mike gets home at 5:45. I get home between 6 and 9.
I've never had cats before these guys, and I'm looking for advice.

Michaela

Savannah Super Cat
Complicated diet and schedule
You might want to time feed only and take away the free feeding
They might do better with no dry food out,
My cats eat raw and can
Dry is a treat only
The dry food out all day is not as good
Calculate the carbohydrate in dry and wet food and see the difference
Cats are carnivore
Need less then 10% carbs and more protein then fat

Catinfo.com has a lot of info
Commercial dry food is not what it is thought to be

Hope that helps some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michaela L

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Thanks Michaela.

I'll take a closer look at the back of the bag tonight when I get home.

If you are feeding all raw and canned, how much food (volume) do you feed each day per cat? I would hate to have them hungry.

My primary concern with pulling the dry is that if I do, Mickey won't get enough food. I can feed them earlier in the morning, and in separate rooms, but if he eats too much he throws up. What do you think would be the appropriate volume of food to feed him? He is 12 pounds.

Michaela

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks Michaela.

I'll take a closer look at the back of the bag tonight when I get home.

If you are feeding all raw and canned, how much food (volume) do you feed each day per cat? I would hate to have them hungry.

My primary concern with pulling the dry is that if I do, Mickey won't get enough food. I can feed them earlier in the morning, and in separate rooms, but if he eats too much he throws up. What do you think would be the appropriate volume of food to feed him? He is 12 pounds.

I love the time feeder on ice too.

Some feed 8 ounces per cat divided in two meals.

Some calculate. 3-4% body weight
Kittens and nursing cats need more food.

Catinfo.org was the web with some good can food analysis..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michaela L

D

Dantes

My boys tend to eat 2 oz raw in the AM, 6-8 oz in the PM. When I feed canned, I just give them a can of food each to replace dinner. I tend to go by how hungry they are (realizing this is more difficult with your vacuums), if I put food down and they eat it in 5-10 minutes, I'll put out a little more, but I don't let them graze longer than 20 min. I also supplement by cooking a chicken almost once a week and adding that to their food (or as their "free feed" but I don't put it out until they've eaten breakfast or dinner). My Desi is a little piggie particularly with the canned, and twice the size of Duma at nearly 25lbs, so I usually watch them eat to make sure everyone gets some. Sometimes Dante goes in the bathroom with a can in case Desi tries to eat his, Duma I can put on the top of the bookshelf where Desi is too big to go. I hardly ever feed dry as it appears to give Dante UTI symptoms (but he's always tested negative and I've never been able to confirm the link). They eat Whole Life freeze dried chicken during training as a snack.