Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Lost - 7 month old ran outside in the night

While we were sleeping, our front door was blown wide open by the Santa Ana winds ( it wasn't latched all the way ). Our daughter woke us up at 4am to say she couldn't find our cat Jupiter, a 7 month old savannah male. He's probably only been gone 2 hours, but I have no idea where he would have gone. We walked the entire neighborhood calling his name, but he's disappeared into the night. Any tips? We live in the hillside in a densely populated area of Woodland Hills/West Hills California.

Any suggestions on finding him short of the standard "notify the vets and pet stores" would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

SV Dad

Site Supporter
Keeping walking the neighborhood. Does your cat have a favorite toy that makes a sound, like a cat teaser when you shake it? They tend to hide if they are scared. They also come home when the get hungry. Leave some food by your door.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
My boy is a door darter. D periodically outwits me and gets outside, and I find it terrifying. We have had to chase him/search for him more than once, and I'm so sorry Jupiter ran outside on you last night.
When I'm trying to find D if he has gotten loose at night (black cats are hard to see in the dark), I go into our back yard, and I sit down, and I read out loud. I also get myself chicken from the fridge and I call him every few minutes, and say what I say when I'm calling him to give him a treat. I always use the same phrase, "Diablo! Where's my Boy? Diablo-kitty, Come!"
I go into our back yard because he usually goes there first unless he is chasing a bird/squirrel/rabbit.
If he is gone from night into day, I do circuits of the neighborhood, slowly. I take the same routes we take on our walks, and I call him.
I hope that helps and that he comes home soon.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Firstly, is Jupiter neutered and is he microchipped?

I'm a fan of busying myself making good flyers to put up everywhere (and I mean everywhere). A nice clear color picture, a description of Jupiter and your contact info... and then I get it mass produced at Office Depot or something (most have an online upload and can print within the hour) and put up on every post on every corner. If an intersection has a post on each corner then I will put a flyer on all of them, so that no matter what direction people will see it. You might think it overkill but what I have found (and years of owning these troublemakers has taught me much) is that people respond to this by realizing how desperate you are for your kitty. And are more likely to look under a car if they spy movement, or at that kitty climbing their back fence. Or even a new kitty joining the feral colony being fed next door (I found my Zak once by a neighbor noticing a new kitty being fed by the cat lady next door)...

Often they don't go too far, if it was a windy night it might have been quite scary....so look for places a cat might burrow under or into, even places that look too narrow or squishy to be comfortable. When a cat has been scared it may not even come out to your name... sometimes it takes until they are well hungry to come out...Going out at night can be advantageous...your flashlight will reflect off kitty eyes making it easier to spot them, plus it is quieter and easier to hear if they meow back at you.

It may be worth finding out who might feed feral cats in your neighborhood, as they may spot your boy also...

Best of luck to you, I hope to read you've found your boy very soon! If you want we can post his pic to our Rescue FB page and email list so that word is out about him, if you can email us at info@svrescue.com with the info on him being neutered or microchipped as well as that pic and your area and contact info...I'll get that up asap!

Rafiki

Site Supporter
While we were sleeping, our front door was blown wide open by the Santa Ana winds ( it wasn't latched all the way ). Our daughter woke us up at 4am to say she couldn't find our cat Jupiter, a 7 month old savannah male. He's probably only been gone 2 hours, but I have no idea where he would have gone. We walked the entire neighborhood calling his name, but he's disappeared into the night. Any tips? We live in the hillside in a densely populated area of Woodland Hills/West Hills California.

Any suggestions on finding him short of the standard "notify the vets and pet stores" would be greatly appreciated.
I live close by in Topanga Canyon/Woodland Hills. I can help put up flyers if you can get them to me. Please contact me at lindapoulin2001@yahoo.com

Rafiki

Site Supporter
About 6 months ago, I received a phone call that was some sort of Amber alert for missing pets. I don't know the name of the agency but it may be this one: http://www.petamberalert.com/lostpetfinder/
They phoned everyone in the neighborhood with a descripion of the missing dogs and contact information. It might be worth a try. Rafiki got loose Sunday morning and I know how much panic I was in during the 5 minutes it took to catch her....

Thank you so very much for all the amazing responses. My husband, distraught, couldn't go back to sleep so he stayed up at his desk in the office which is along the back patio doors. I thought I heard a cat in the wind by our bedroom and went outside to call him, but the wind was really too strong. I told my husband and he called for him again around the perimeter of the house. About an hour or less later he walked into the bedroom holding Jupiter. He had streaked past the back patio door, hackles raised and a bristle brush tail. Took a little coaxing to get him to come inside with some ham ( his favorite ), but he was thrilled to be home once inside. He's back to his typical hind-leg head butting any nearby hand for a pat on the head and headbutts to the face for a kiss. We lost our bengal last year over yet another windy Santa Ana night - something about the winds and the scents shifting too much, the chaos and the cold. I'm calling the landlord today to get the door fixed. Its not the first time its swung open in the night with Jupiter nearby. That time I found him laying in his bed on my husbands desk, door wide open in his plain view, completely disinterested.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yay! I'm so glad you could get him in with some food!

If your landlord won't fix the door fast enough, I'd go to the hardware and find something to secure the door myself...

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Thank you so very much for all the amazing responses. My husband, distraught, couldn't go back to sleep so he stayed up at his desk in the office which is along the back patio doors. I thought I heard a cat in the wind by our bedroom and went outside to call him, but the wind was really too strong. I told my husband and he called for him again around the perimeter of the house. About an hour or less later he walked into the bedroom holding Jupiter. He had streaked past the back patio door, hackles raised and a bristle brush tail. Took a little coaxing to get him to come inside with some ham ( his favorite ), but he was thrilled to be home once inside. He's back to his typical hind-leg head butting any nearby hand for a pat on the head and headbutts to the face for a kiss. We lost our bengal last year over yet another windy Santa Ana night - something about the winds and the scents shifting too much, the chaos and the cold. I'm calling the landlord today to get the door fixed. Its not the first time its swung open in the night with Jupiter nearby. That time I found him laying in his bed on my husbands desk, door wide open in his plain view, completely disinterested.
Such great news! Congrats for being reunited with your furbaby!